GoPro 7 Hero Black vs 8: Worth $80 more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it worth the jump from GoPro 7 Hero Black to 8? Is the hyperstability 2.0 that much better? Using for mostly video, some photo underwater. TIA for your thoughts.

I have the 7, and the aftermarket filters suck. GoPro makes 3 color filters for the hero 8 and 9, though the filters are not interchangeable.

LOL. I still have the Hero4 Silver and can’t decide whether or not to upgrade

I have the 7, and the aftermarket filters suck. GoPro makes 3 color filters for the hero 8 and 9, though the filters are not interchangeable.

That's good to know. Thanks! I currently have a hero 3 so I feel like I'm due for an upgrade.

LOL. I still have the Hero4 Silver and can’t decide whether or not to upgrade
I currently have the hero 3+. The new features of the seven, eight and nine look pretty awesome. The big thing is something called hypersmooth that apparently is excellent for underwater.

I don't really know but it does look like the cameras have made a significant improvement since the 5.

Yes, the difference form the 3 to the 7 is huge... My dive buddy has the 3, I the 7. If I had a choice, I go to the 8 or 9. When diving at depth, the filters help a lot. Unless of course you use a lot of light. But if you used that much light, you be getting a DSLR. :)

Yes, it's definitely time for an upgrade for me. I mostly dive with a mirrorless camera but I had an incident where my lens fogged and I was #+!*-off. Struck by so I'm thinking of upgrading the GoPro and mounting it on the camera rig so at least I can do something if my camera lens ever fogs up again.

And yes, I put it in the water before the dive. And yes, the o-rings had been cleaned. And yes, it was stored inside before going into the ocean. Just bad luck I suppose. My buddy has the same setup and his did not fog.

So my brain thought if I invested in upgrading my GoPro then at least I wouldn't be completely naked.

Yes, it's definitely time for an upgrade for me. I mostly dive with a mirrorless camera but I had an incident where my lens fogged and I was #+!*-off. Struck by so I'm thinking of upgrading the GoPro and mounting it on the camera rig so at least I can do something if my camera lens ever fogs up again.

And yes, I put it in the water before the dive. And yes, the o-rings had been cleaned. And yes, it was stored inside before going into the ocean. Just bad luck I suppose. My buddy has the same setup and his did not fog.

So my brain thought if I invested in upgrading my GoPro then at least I wouldn't be completely naked.

That sucks, and I feel your pain, sadly underwater anything can happen. My dive partners Wife has the Nauticam Housing for her Nikon (way out of my price range) She swears by the unit.

That sucks, and I feel your pain, sadly underwater anything can happen. My dive partners Wife has the Nauticam Housing for her Nikon (way out of my price range) She swears by the unit.

Yup, it sucks and sometimes happens for seemingly no reason. Nauticam is out of my range as well. Heck, I'm debating about an extra $70.

I find little difference between the video of the GoPro 7 or GoPro 8. I do find that the GoPro 8 takes better pictures. If you are only taking videos, GoPro 7 works great. If you are wanting to add some pictures to the mix, I feel the GoPro 8 is a better option.

I prefer the Backscatter "FLIP" filters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom