Gopro 5 Black - Waterproof

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDean59

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any experience with using the Gopro 5 Black without the supersuit just for snorkeling? I plan to get the supersuit case later but wanted to see how it does underwater without one. It says that it is waterproof to 30 feet without one. But some of the reviews I'm reading state something different.

No answers so far and I have none myself, just a few thoughts. Most snorkeling will be saltwater so I'd be leery of putting the camera directly in it. You can get an authorized Gopro Super Suit for $50 or a knockoff for under $15. I may not trust the knockoff for 120' but probably ok for snorkeling. It would be cheap protection and keep your camera clean and dry.

Thanks ReefHound. I think I leaning towards purchasing the camera, knowing that I will be buying the super suit later. I may just stay away from submerging in any water including the pool without the case. I plan to use the camera for diving deeper anyway and was planning on buying the case to do so. Thanks again for your input.

I rented a Hero 5 Black for a week snorkeling in Hawaii last year. No case, no issues.

As with the rest of your gear, rinse with fresh water afterwards and make sure the seals are clean, but it should be fine.

I rented a Hero 5 Black for a week snorkeling in Hawaii last year. No case, no issues.

As with the rest of your gear, rinse with fresh water afterwards and make sure the seals are clean, but it should be fine.
I was just a little afraid to purchase one if it had leakage issues. But it sounds like some people are not having any problems with the camera.

I would recommend buying the super suit housing, not because of saltwater or waterproofness, but because most camera filters are all intended to work with the super suit housing. I use a backscatter Flip 6 with our GoPro 6 and the filter system mounts directly to the housing. Personal opinion, but I think the video comes out a little better with the filters, even for snorkeling.

It says that it is waterproof to 30 feet without one. But some of the reviews I'm reading state something different.
I'm not sure what reviews you're reading but it's definitely waterproof to 33'/10m. Having said that, if it floods it's your burden to prove it hasn't been deeper, which is impossible to do. I assume you're going for the 5 because of cost? FYI, the 7 is about to be released so the price of the 6 will no doubt drop in the arse not long after.
The 6 is a much better camera, especially in low light, like under water :)

Gopro is offering deals on the Hero 7 Black if you trade an old one in it will only cost you $299.

Deal info is on their website.

Gopro is offering deals on the Hero 7 Black if you trade an old one in it will only cost you $299.

Deal info is on their website.
where are all those 3+ cameras I own???

Here's the link: https://shop.gopro.com/tradeup

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom