Gopro 4 vs 7 : color/wb accuracy upgrade ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eveos

New
Reaction score
Hello !
(sorry for my English, wich one is not my native language)

I'm used to take pictures (I fully control my camera with manual settings) and I discover the GoPro camera only some weeks ago.
So, for snorkeling only (main use :snorkeler:) :
My curent GoPro is a Hero Black 4, and I'm thinking to upgrade for a Hero Black 7 ...

I'm looking for better and more accurate underwater colors :) (and stabilisation maybe)

Do you think it worth it ?? It there any big différence ? :poke:

With the 4 I stopped to use the auto WB, because it is still changing in a same underwater vidéo ; it doesn't looks very good :confused:
So, maybe the 7's AWB will be better, and maybe the overall colors quality will be better ? (or, at least, the native mode will allow more accurate correction ?)

Thank you for your advises !

I just got a 7black the other day, used to use the 4black.

I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but I do have some limited experience with the 6 down in Bonaire (along side the mentioned 4)

The 6 was noticeably better then the 4 with colours and stabilization in post...

_R

When the 7 just came out I tried it and did not find my video any better than with my Silver 4. If you do upgrade go with the 8, as the 7 is already an old model.

You can also digitally stabilize in some software (for eg Cyberlink PowerDirector).

Never leave white balance in Auto, use native. Set your ISO minimum to 100 and max to about 800. evo to around minus 1.5. If you don’t post edit leave colors in gopro. If you post edit you can use flat. Field of view for snorkeling or scuba should be set to wide. Sharpness set to low.

Use a waterproof case (the 7 is waterproof to around 30 feet) however if you trust it be prepared for a flooded camera. You can buy gopro plus for around 5 dollars a month and gopro will replace up to 3 cameras a year no questions asked. Just buy a case and use it.

You will if you go onto YouTube see all different kinds of users telling you “their” settings as far as speed etc. even though we have 4K tv’s and laptops that support 4K, if you use this setting it is going to eat your battery life like crazy. I use 1080 at 120 which allows hyper stabilization. So does 4K but at a slower frame rate 2.4 is ok as well but still a battery user. Most social media when you upload a video replays in 1080 currently.

Summing up. Buy extra batteries, a hand held cradle or a GoPro pole etc. even a dome is cool.
If you dive more than 15 to 30 feet down, your going to need some color correction filters. If your diving in ultra blue water you need the red filter. If the water if blue green you need the lighter red filter and if your diving fresh water the pink filter works pretty good.

If you stay shallow you can do away with a filter and use natural colors and use post production editing to bring the colors back.

Hope this helps

Glenn

Everything Glenn Williams just posted above is solid advice. I use most of the settings he recommended, and there is great info on YouTube as well. In regards to your question, get the 7 Black or grab the 8 Black if you want the latest. You may not notice a huge difference in some of your videos, but the 7 and 8 are both way ahead of the 4 in quality and features. I know, I switched from a 4 to a 7 Black.

To echo Glenn, don't bother with shooting in 4k, unless you really want to. 1080 at 120fps or even 60fps allow you to slow your video down in post production, which is crucial in some underwater shooting/editing as it gives a very stable look and a cinematic "feel". Add that to the stabilization in the new cameras, and you can shoot some nice stuff!

I'm a pure novice with photo/video, but found he GoPro 7 Black a very nice upgrade from the 4 Silver I had before....

YMMV

the GoPro 7 is a good camera. I use 4K for videos. Below are samples.

This is a video taken by a GoPro 7 in natural ambient light.

The link below is a photo shot on a GoPro 7 also in natural light.

Go Dive PH

I'm a pure novice with photo/video, but found he GoPro 7 Black a very nice upgrade from the 4 Silver I had before....

YMMV
What differences did you find? I have a GP4 Silver and thinking of upgrading but I'd have to get a new housing and batteries. Also thinking of a Parlenz

just better image quality all around. This is in clear warm water. I haven't been able to get it in dark green water yet....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom