Google Pixel XL phone acts weird with cootwo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landstander

Contributor
Reaction score
Since the original thread was unceremoniously locked.

Actually, your "workaround" proves the fact that the issue is not with our cootwo but with your specific smartphone model.
Quote from your email to us:

"...... this morning I discovered that disabling wifi (leaving mobile data and bluetooth enabled) allowed my phone to pair successfully for the first time. Not only that, but it continues to work normally after re-enabling wfi.. I've rebooted the phone a couple of times now, as well as clearing data / reinstalling the NitroxBuddy app several times, and haven't been able to reproduce the problem even once.......
....... I guess the takeaway is that "Try again with wifi disabled" may be a viable workaround for weird connectivity issues... at least for some devices. I wish I understood why, but for now I'm just happy that the cootwo can be fully utilized again.
I'll let you know if this occurs again. In the meantime, thank you for getting back to me.......

BTW, thank you for finding it.

Not necessarily, it could just as easily be a internal setting on the cootwo which was "flipped" by the successful connection/pairing. Until and unless it can be reproduced again, there's no way to know for certain. All I can say for sure is that my Pixel hasn't experienced problems with any other bluetooth devices (including BLE)... only the cootwo.

That in no way changes the fact that (IMO) your product support is woefully inadequate, however. I was very excited by the introduction of this product, a backer of your the kickstarter campaign, and have enthusiastically referred a number of people your way when they've inquired about my cootwo during various trips. At this point, I greatly regret ever supporting your company.

That's OK.
As I said, we are not good at marketing ..... but we like designing innovative and good products.
I will keep doing what I like best.
BTW, the new Trimix analyzer is coming along nicely. This time will be more careful in selecting our customers.

I'd recommend marketing it as an iOS-only device, since you clearly have no intention of supporting your product on Android. That would at least be honest.

It was a poor response. However, there does seem to be some credence to Pixel and PixelXL having buggy bluetooth. They may very well be right about the problem being on the Android side. Usually I'd look for a manufacturer to go work with the other manufacturer though.

Anyway: Pixel Bluetooth issues - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com and Google Pixel devices have trouble pairing with Bluetooth in cars

there's this, but it sounds like the standard BS to me. Won't hurt to try but I wouldn't hold my breath: How To Fix Google Pixel Bluetooth Problems | Technobezz

Edit:
Actually, it sounds like it's a problem with ANY phone that has Android 7.1. It just happens that Pixel got it first. It's affecting other phones that were early recipients of 7.1 like the nexus devices. That's good news because that means it's a software problem and those are fixable. Since it sounds so significant, I would bet Google will be all over it.

It was a poor response. However, there does seem to be some credence to Pixel and PixelXL having buggy bluetooth. They may very well be right about the problem being on the Android side. Usually I'd look for a manufacturer to go work with the other manufacturer though.

Anyway: Pixel Bluetooth issues - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com and Google Pixel devices have trouble pairing with Bluetooth in cars

there's this, but it sounds like the standard BS to me. Won't hurt to try but I wouldn't hold my breath: How To Fix Google Pixel Bluetooth Problems | Technobezz

I wouldn't rule it out, but on the other hand I've seen several other posts in various forums concerning cootwo pairing issue with other phones. So the question of where the problem is really isn't as clear cut as DiveNav would like to believe. Again, all I know for certain is that bluetooth has been rock solid (for me) with this phone, with the single exception of the cootwo.

In my opinion, updating the app to keep it working with new android versions/devices is a strongly implied promise when marketing to android users, since the app is required for full functionality. If DiveNav isn't willing to put in even a little effort, then they should never have marketed the device to Android users in the first place.

I'll certainly try the options you've presented if/when the issue resurfaces, however. And thanx for the suggestions!

All true. I wasn't trying to suggest that Divenav's response was reasonable or anything like that. Just that there may be light at the end of the tunnel for you.

All true. I wasn't trying to suggest that Divenav's response was reasonable or anything like that. Just that there may be light at the end of the tunnel for you.

That's actually how I took it... my apologies if it appeared otherwise. And I do very much appreciate your suggestions! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom