good value travel reg recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife needs to replace her 33 year old conshelf 22. These days we mainly dive warm water, and only recreational depths and times. For what it's worth, mostly diving EAN32 off liveaboards. We don't need the cheapest thing going, but also doesn't need to be the fanciest thing ever. My wife has a history of jaw strain, so would prefer a light weight second stage (that probably also means a longer/more flexible hose, but I imagine that is changeable). I'm not at the stage of servicing our regs, so something I can get serviced reasonably well in Canada would also be good. I'm currently moderately annoyed with Huish, so avoiding Huish brand's would be good.

Cry havoc, and let lose the dogs of internet-opinion!

I've had great luck with my Hog D3 1st and Hog Classic 2.0 2nd stage reg set. Good for cold water diving, even if that's not an interest, breathes really well, love the turret feature of the 1st stage and so far has held up really well over the last 4 years that I've been diving it. For the price, it's definitely worth consideration. Aside from some rental regs by Mares and Scubapro, I've dove an Atomic Z2 as well and honestly I'd take my Hog over that because it just breathes better. Can't comment on any other regs because I have no experience with them so my advice may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

Just something else to think about....if your wife has a history of jaw strain/jaw fatigue from holding the 2nd stage in her mouth, you might consider having her try out a full face mask. They are a bit more cumbersome and take a little bit to get used to, but once you get comfortable with one they're really hard to beat. No leaks, no fogging, no jaw fatigue (because there's nothing to hold in your mouth), no dry mouth, can breathe through your nose or your mouth depending on how you set it up, can add in coms if both of you have them. A wealth of benefits, but also a few minor cons. They do add a small amount of buoyancy, they are a bit bulky (at first) and they are definitely a bit more involved when it comes to doffing & donning, especially underwater. Certainly not a good idea to dive without a backup mask in a BC pocket just in case. And they are quite a bit pricey. But if you think about it, if you buy one of the more expensive masks (Atomic, Scubapro), those can run almost $200. Say you spend at least the same amount on a 2ng stage reg...you're already at $400. You can get a new ffm for about $600. So again, just something to think about to help solve the jaw strain issue. I'm a huge supporter of them, as mine was the first piece of kit I bought outside of mask, snorkel, fins, boots. So if you get a chance, maybe demo one in the pool and see what you and your wife think.

Scubapro is marketing the C370 as small and light, I don’t have one yet but should in a few days it paired with a MK11 first. The s620ti is also light but quite a bit more expensive. Aqua Lung may have some lighter models and is the most commonly seen brand anywhere I’ve been.

My wife needs to replace her 33 year old conshelf 22.

I can sell you a 33 year old MK10/G250.
Just kidding, but trying to make a point. Have you been told the Conshelf set is too old or outdated? Chances are it can be serviced and will be good for another 33 years with proper care.

A long (5-7 ft) hose will go a long way in reducing jaw fatigue.

I can sell you a 33 year old MK10/G250.
Just kidding, but trying to make a point. Have you been told the Conshelf set is too old or outdated? Chances are it can be serviced and will be good for another 33 years with proper care.

A long (5-7 ft) hose will go a long way in reducing jaw fatigue.
Maybe the boats the are diving from already have anchors...

Maybe the boats the are diving from already have anchors...
Isn't the Connie 22 a plastic second stage?

I have a Cressi MC9/Compact as a travel reg set that has performed extremely well. They have a SC version for colder water but the MC9 without it is an above 50 deg water travel reg. The Compact is a very small 2nd stage. Many frown on Cressi and they do not have as robust a service network as SP/Tusa/Mares etc but it has worked well for me.

Aqualung mikron. You can get a Cave Adventures swivel for the second stage to help with the fatigue.

Mikron then also add a seacure custom molded mouthpiece. Easy to do at home and inexpensive. You can also get great lightly used regs second hand here. Just get them serviced and inspected when you receive it. I used to also get jaw strains before the seacure but no more. I have regular sized regs, no need for the mikron for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom