Good underwater camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThatsMe:
Im looking to buy a digital land mode camera. I want to be able to buy a housing to take it under water. What is the best model to get. Im looking at getting an olympus. HELP! Im also trying to stay within the 300-350 range.

You really need to give a few more details of what you are looking for. Try looking at the sticky at the top of the forum to get an idea. Then ask some more specific questions and people can try and help.

I wouldn't only look at the oly's, canon, nikon, fuji and a few others make some great cameras and have cheap housings. Think about whether you want to use it on land and what you want to be able to produce. Look at my gallery to see that a camera does not need to be expensive to produce good results.

Each camera has their pros and cons, none are perfect, there is no best. But there will be one that is best for you. To determine this you need to have a bunch requirements, the one that meets the most of these is your camera.

Have fun.

Yeah....what Rob said!

I agree with Rob as there is little difference in the quality of digi cameras on the market

one thing you may want to consider is getting a camera/housing that has some optional accessories that can be added in the future. That way you can gradually build your system as you get some experience. No need to go and buy everything at once!

I usually recommend, research the housings first, then start working on compatible cameras

I personally like Canons having had the A80 and most recently the S1 IS. The S1 suits my needs perfectly with its clear image quality, x10 zoom, image stabilisation (great for underwater) and its superb video mode. I think that the S1 is a good all-round performer for land and underwater, offering some great features for a reasonable price. Ask yourself what features are most important to you. For me it was image stabilisation, zoom and video.
Check out my gallery for some examples.

If you want an Oly, great camera with loads of manual features. Have a look around ebay for a used 4040.

Should be pretty cheap by now and is an outstanding camera, Light and Motion still makes the Tetra housing for it too. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom