good thermal dive skin for someone tall and skinny?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clayton122

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I am trying to find a good thermal dive skin to wear under a 7mm wetsuit. Its primary function would be some added warmth, so a polyoefin suit or equivalent is needed. Its cold up here in the great lakes. :(

The problem is, I am tall and skinny, and as far as I can find, they dont make them for people much over 6'3, and the ones they make on those sizes tend to be for huskier people.

im 6'4 and skinny. like 34 inch waist and around 200 pounds. Does anyone else with this build have trouble finding a good dive skin?

I'm 6'3 and 180. I have a 1.5 mil Henderson Thermaxx in size MT that fits very well. I have a 34 inch waist and a long torso. You might like the LT.

you dont think a 1.5 would be a bit much under a 7mm suit and a 3/5 hooded vest?

Lots of layers. If I get to the point of needing three layers, I'll go ahead and spring for a drysuit. The 1.5 gives me options in layering and feels nice on but I haven't used it much yet.

Sadly, I dont have the money or the certification to go dry yet. One of these days.

This is what I was looking at. I feel like this setup should keep me darn warm ( at the expense of some mobility granted ). This should keep my core very well insulated, with a little extra for the arms and legs and feet. Temps can get as low as 43 or so. :(

Pinnacle 5/3mm Merino Titanium Hooded Diving Vest ( first layer )
Sharkskin Men's Chill-Proof Long Sleeve Shirt ( second layer )
SharkSkin ChillProof Trilaminate Micro Fleece ( second layer )

SharkSkin ChillProof Trilaminate Micro Fleece Socks ( second layerish )
Pinnacle 7mm Tempo XT Merino Wetsuit ( final layer )
XS Scuba 5mm Dry Five Pyrostretch Dry
Ocean Quest 7mm Premium Super-Stretch Titanium

Last edited:
My wife tried all those layers and couldn't move or breathe easily and was still cold. Circulation is important for warmth and wetsuits need to be form fitting to be effective. I'm not sure how you can achieve both if you use more than about 2 layers, especially if one of them is a 7mil.

Back
Top Bottom