Good places in Fla for check-out dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyCracker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My 16 yr old son want to get open water certified!
We live in Virginia so he'll do his classwork here but he wants to do the check out dives somewhere with warm water and better visibility. So we have a good excuse for a family vacation in early Spring!
Even though I'm PADI certified, our only options now for training is SSI. Does that mean he'll have to do his check out dives with an SSI facility? This would narrow down our choices I guess.
In any case, what are some top rated dive spots for a beginner to do check out dives? We'd also be doing some other limited diving in the same place.

Head to the Keys.

I do believe that he’ll need to use an SSI center, but not positive. His training center at home should be able to confirm.

Key Largo has lots of sites that are well suited to checkout dives.

Everything will be much easier for you if you stay with SSI.

I agree that the Keys are an excellent choice, especially Key Largo. You will find several shops offering SSI there.

The one problem you may encounter is weather. I have been spending winter months in south Florida for more than a decade now, and it seems like each year gets a little windier. I confirmed that with a dive operation owner who said that in the winter now he was only able to run his boat about half the number of days he did a decade before. Make sure you make plans such that you are able to cancel easily if you see a marine forcast that will prevent the boats from going out while you are there.

Everything will be much easier for you if you stay with SSI.

I agree that the Keys are an excellent choice, especially Key Largo. You will find several shops offering SSI there.

The one problem you may encounter is weather. I have been spending winter months in south Florida for more than a decade now, and it seems like each year gets a little windier. I confirmed that with a dive operation owner who said that in the winter now he was only able to run his boat about half the number of days he did a decade before. Make sure you make plans such that you are able to cancel easily if you see a marine forcast that will prevent the boats from going out while you are there.

Agree with all of the above, unless . . .

--You can devote three days for in-water work in Florida (one day for pool work, two days for open water). If your vacation schedule permits this, you can do your on-line class from whatever agency your Florida instuctor is affiliated with. Figure out where you want to go in Florida, find an instructor there, and let that instructor's affiliation determine with on-line class he takes.

--You're willing to dive some of the inland freshwater sites in Florida. It's not as pretty as the keys, but you can pretty much guarantee wind and waves won't prevent completing the certification within the constraints of your schedule.

Let me know if you'd want more information on how this would work or instructor/shop recommendations depending on what part of Florida you want to visit.

Agree with all of the above, unless . . .

--You can devote three days for in-water work in Florida (one day for pool work, two days for open water). If your vacation schedule permits this, you can do your on-line class from whatever agency your Florida instuctor is affiliated with. Figure out where you want to go in Florida, find an instructor there, and let that instructor's affiliation determine with on-line class he takes.

--You're willing to dive some of the inland freshwater sites in Florida.
That’s a good point, as is the weather concern that @boulderjohn mentioned.

While no where near as nice as the Keys, there are freshwater sites. If you do work with a FL based dive shop, they can often make last minUte adjustments as needed. Though, the one day for pool work might not be enough.

My daughters were certified with LDS in the Tampa Bay area. In both, we had to call an audible for their checkout dives. For the first, the visibility in the gulf was going to be braille diving, so that was out. For the second, it was nerves brought on by choppy conditions. So checkouts we’re done in springs in north FL.

Devil’s Den, Blue Grotto, and Lake Denton (further south) seem to be popular options for the dive shops in the area. I’ve never dove Lake Denton, but the others are decent.

Another option around here is Hudson Grotto. It’s a deep, dark, boring hole in the ground. I’d avoid that one.

There are tons of places to do SSI in South Florida. Just go to SSI and find a shop. I use Force-E for a lot of stuff and they are SSI, PADI, TDI, etc. 3 locations. Big outfit with nice people.

--You're willing to dive some of the inland freshwater sites in Florida. It's not as pretty as the keys, but you can pretty much guarantee wind and waves won't prevent completing the certification within the constraints of your schedule.
While no where near as nice as the Keys, there are freshwater sites. If you do work with a FL based dive shop, they can often make last minUte adjustments as needed. Though, the one day for pool work might not be enough.

Devil’s Den, Blue Grotto, and Lake Denton (further south) seem to be popular options for the dive shops in the area. I’ve never dove Lake Denton, but the others are decent.

Another option around here is Hudson Grotto. It’s a deep, dark, boring hole in the ground. I’d avoid that one.
This is pretty much what we've landed on. This won't necessarily be a dive vacation. More like a family vacation so one person can get their check-out dives completed. And again, the goal is to get him through the ordeal concentrating on brand new skills rather than stressing about sea/weather conditions and other experienced divers aboard a boat with 30 lbs of unfamiliar gear strapped to him . There'll be time for that once he gets a few basic dives under his belt.
Thanks @Belzelbub for the Hudson Grotto warning.
@Scraps I'd appreciate hearing a recommendation on your favorite SSI shop that runs check-out dives to Devil’s Den and Blue Grotto. Preferably a shop that is comfortable with beginner youth divers.

..... Preferably a shop that is comfortable with beginner youth divers.
Blue Grotto's (BG) key strength is the huge number of instructors at all different levels and training that they have available. This isn't a small shop with 1 or 2 instructors. BG works with HUNDREDS of instructors. I'd recommend you call Blue Grotto{weekday+mid morning when slow} and ask them who's the best "fit" for your family member. Tell them everything from nerves, similar age groups, private instruction, SSI, gear needed, even do you want to stay onsite.. BG goes out of their way for good reviews and really goes above and beyond to get you 'fitted' with the right instructor for the checkout. They pull instructors from all over the state of Florida so they can directly match you with what you want. BG can also look at their reservation calendar and match the dates you are coming to see if an instructor fitting your 'wants' is also going to be there at that exact same time. You'll really like BG, that's why so many instructors use the venue.

I'd appreciate hearing a recommendation on your favorite SSI shop that runs check-out dives to Devil’s Den and Blue Grotto. Preferably a shop that is comfortable with beginner youth divers.
I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I might be able to answer as well.

Both my daughters were certified at 10 at the same shop. Well, technically two different shops, but at the same address. Main instructor bought it from the previous owner.

Heroes Dive Center in Dunedin (Clearwater/Tampa Bay area). They definitely still do Devils Den, they also do Lake Denton, as well as Gulf, East Coast, and Keys dives. Give them a call, and let them know what you are planning, and how much time you have available. I think they still do Blue Grotto as well, but I’m not positive.

I also did Deep, Night/Limited vis, and Nav with them for AOW. That’s about the only reason for Hudson Grotto. You can do Deep and Night/Limited Vis in Hudson any time of the year.

Blue Grotto's (BG) key strength is the huge number of instructors at all different levels and training that they have available. This isn't a small shop with 1 or 2 instructors. BG works with HUNDREDS of instructors. I'd recommend you call Blue Grotto{weekday+mid morning when slow} and ask them who's the best "fit" for your family member. Tell them everything from nerves, similar age groups, private instruction, SSI, gear needed, even do you want to stay onsite.. BG goes out of their way for good reviews and really goes above and beyond to get you 'fitted' with the right instructor for the checkout. They pull instructors from all over the state of Florida so they can directly match you with what you want. BG can also look at their reservation calendar and match the dates you are coming to see if an instructor fitting your 'wants' is also going to be there at that exact same time. You'll really like BG, that's why so many instructors use the venue.
This sounds perfect for us then! I'm glad I asked this question.
This is the impression I got from their website and by the number of shops from all over Fla that use the location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom