Good non AI wrist computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently ive started to grow very tired of my Suunto Cobra AI computer console. Nothing inherently wrong with it, but the console itself is extremely long and has no good attachment points to keep it from dangling, which really messes up my minimalistic groove.

I've never really been one for wrist computers, but I'm beginning to come around to the idea.

So, I'm in the market for a non AI wrist mounted dive computer, and will use a minimalistic standard brass and glass SPG.

Price really is no object, I'm expanding my training horizons soon further into the tech realm, so it'll have to be able to handle those kinds of dive profiles.

Mainly, I'm looking for on my list

1. Good function/ nice features

2. Extreme durability

3. Comfort

4. Looks

Like I said, I'm looking for some good first hand accounts that supports a very wide range of applications from deep wreck to reef dives. I never really trust consumer website reviews, because they tend to lean to "this thing is perfect" to "this thing is terrible" to "I just ordered it, it's not in yet but it looks cool 5 stars"

Really want nothing to do with Suunto, they are a tad conservative for my taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Liquivsion Kaon? Nice OLED display and Buhlmann GF with choice of three pre-set GFs. The next step up would be the Xeo or the Shearwater Petrel. With the Xeo you could have a full implementation of RGBM and the Petrel would give you VPM, both in addition to full Buhlmann GF and both will handle trimix. The Petrel is less bulky than the Predator, but still quite a bit bigger than the Kaon or Xeo.

Petrel. The OLED screen of the Predator is, IMO, not any better than the Petrel and it's size, sub-optimal bungiee mount options, Saft battery requirement, and (for now) lack of a gage mode all cut against it. If cost was an issue, nice Predators are now going for around $700, but if cost isn't an issue the $950 Petrel is your best bet. Shearwater has bend-over-backwards customer service delivered by people who know/help build the units, on par with Atomic.

Check out Liquivision, too. I'm not a fan of their customer service, the track record of their units for failures, or the tap interface, but the X1 (when it works) is a very impressive computer.

Second the Petrel. If tech diving is not in your future have a look at the offerings from Liquivision or Heinrichs Weikamp, all nice colour screens with relatively small footprint. In the interest of transparency I use a HW Frog, I only rec dive, and really like it, small, nice colour display, easy to use, runs on AAs and customer service is tops. If I was in the market again would probably buy a Petrel, more than I would ever likely need but they look so damn cool, Shearwater have a great reputation too. With my ageing eyes, and love of night diving, I find colour computers easier to read and would personally never consider a non colour model again.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 10:57 PM ----------

Man you guys post fast or I type too slow.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 11:07 PM ----------

Given you said money object this probably doesn't matter but FWIW HW Frog is the cheapest of the bunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom