Good News for Lake Travis Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a couple of dives at the lake today. Great news! The lake level is back up and viz is not tooooo bad. :D

I backed my truck down the boat ramp where Robert (Lake Travis Scuba) was able to pull the boat right up to the back of the truck. We just handed tanks and gear off to him from there. Pretty easy diving!!

The water is still a bit chilly...51 degrees. Viz isn't too bad though...not great, but not tooooo bad. It's Lake Travis, right!? :wink: I'd estimate the visibility at 120' to be around 4-5 feet and 3' from 0-80 feet of depth.

Brandon and I did a dive at the Shaker Plant and another at Wreck Alley. Great day!

so what depth is the shaker plant at now, did i miss my chance to see it

Sounds like a great day! Now are you guys following Roberts printed schd., or were these sorta off the cuff runs? 51f sounds so warm to me this time of the year, both water is chilly and the SI and clean-up time are usually windy and cool to cold here and north.

I just bought a set of longsleeve patagonia/capilene 3's shirt, and the same in long pants for wearing with my new BARE Hi-Loft Exstreme undergarment, this I hope will improve my comfort level in these waters and colder.

:)

This dive was planned to float the submerged mooring bottles at Shaker Plant and Wreck Alley. Lake level 673' (lake full at 681').

The mooring at Shaker Plant is attached to one of the large concrete plant footings currently at 70', where you pick up the lines to take you around the site. I estimate the lines descend to around 120' before ending on the North line or turning back on the West line. Perfect location for performing AOW deep dives or tech training dives.

The large houseboat at Wreck Alley is currently sitting at around 70', with the top of the boat around 55'. The rope leading to the pecan trees should tie in to the tree around 100'. The mooring line on the Boatel will be reattached soon so there is a descent line to a shallower boat for the AOW wreck dive.

Loading was a breeze, as K-Valve mentioned, check out the photos at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/262057-dive-condition-reports-29.html. The shuttle will be bringing divers down the ramp to the boat just as the truck was backed up today as long as the lake level permits. It will be very easy for you to load from the shuttle to the boat.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Last edited:
so what depth is the shaker plant at now, did i miss my chance to see it

When I did the presentation on the Shaker Plant at LCRA, I found it easier to think in terms of elevation above sea level. The concrete foundations where Lake Travis Scuba moors are about 600' at the base. The really interesting stuff along the wall is maybe 30' deeper. Right now you should be able to see the majority of the site and stay above 100' depth.

Glad to hear that Lake Travis is getting back up. I like the vis and temp too. Of course, I'm no longer in DFW/OKC and I'm up in RI. I haven't gotten in the water lately, but vis is usually about 3-5 and the current temp is about 35-38. And I don't have any gear. Got a good dive buddy, but I don't think he wants to watch me freedive past him up and down twice in a swimsuit before I run out of the water. Can't wait for the water to warm up and the gulf stream to start pushing the tropicals up here. (There's actually been juvenile lionfish sightings up here.)

Here's hoping I get back to OKC or DFW so I can dive with my spring spurs on my fins.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom