Question Good Liveaboards for Banda Sep/Oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacob110

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Trying to plan a late year trip and have my eyes set on Banda (if i can stomach the 35hr journey to get there!). Been having a look around the liveaboards and the usually recommended boats (Mermaid, Blue/White Manta) are all a little more than I'd like to be spending for this trip. I have noticed that there are a fair few boats coming in at a slightly lower price point and was wondering if anyone had any reccommendations for them?

Both the Carpe Diem and Amaya Explorer are reviewed really well. However, neither offer nitrox which I'm guessing may be a bit restrictive in Banda where to my knowledge there are some deeper dives (especially if you go off searching for hammers)? The Tambora and Panunee both offer nitrox and some really competitive price points although are slightly less well reviewed.

Have any of you had experience with these boats? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Ive been on White Manta, Banda Sea, trip and it was excellent. The big steel boats make the crossings easy. I have no experience with either of the boats you listed. I will say, they adjusted the blends when we went hammer hunting so we could MOD around 144.

Also, not sure where in the UK you are based, but I have gone from Raja to Europe twice now, I have never needed 35 hours to get to Europe from CGK or Bali, even with a long layover in Dubai. Not saying its an easy hop, but a quick air matrix search shows several options around 16-18 hours from London.

You can find a lot of good info on here searching through the threads. Might take some time, but its worth the effort with all the tips and hints provided.

Ive been on White Manta, Banda Sea, trip and it was excellent. The big steel boats make the crossings easy. I have no experience with either of the boats you listed. I will say, they adjusted the blends when we went hammer hunting so we could MOD around 144.

Also, not sure where in the UK you are based, but I have gone from Raja to Europe twice now, I have never needed 35 hours to get to Europe from CGK or Bali, even with a long layover in Dubai. Not saying its an easy hop, but a quick air matrix search shows several options around 16-18 hours from London.

You can find a lot of good info on here searching through the threads. Might take some time, but its worth the effort with all the tips and hints provided.
Based in London but the main time loss is the wait after arriving in CGK before flying on to Ambon. Heard some good mentions about the Tambora on some threads here so it's probably the frontrunner for consideration.

I would be interested to hear how you rate Banda compared to Raja Ampat if you've done both? Am I sacrificing a lot for the greater chance of pelagics and less crowds by going to Banda?

If you have not already booked your trip, it *may* be too late for this year. The LOBs have a small window during which they travel in this area. They are generally booked up a bit in advance. Have you already determined availability? That may greatly narrow down your options.

If you have not already booked your trip, it *may* be too late for this year. The LOBs have a small window during which they travel in this area. They are generally booked up a bit in advance. Have you already determined availability? That may greatly narrow down your options.
I've already determined availability. The mentioned boats have space as well as a few others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom