Good inexpensive camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Museition

New
Reaction score
Hello! Is there such a thing as a good inexpensive camera? Preferably digital. I'm an amatuer photographer who is going to the Cook Islands in August. I will only need it for snorkling & after that won't be doing much underwater photography. Thanx for the help! :dazzler1:

well, yes... tons of them, depending on the user =)

i'm also a newbie photo guy, and i bought a Canon SD100 with the WD-10 waterproof case i think for just under $400.00. i love the camera both above and below water.

another route is a disposable waterproof camera, with flash
(flash is a must). they are cheap, that's for sure!

If you are only snorkling then H2Andy's idea is probably the cheapest route. Get one of the waterproof disposable camera's. They work fine - I had used some when I went to Jamaica in Dunn's Rivers falls and snorkling around too...

If you go for the disposable you can get your prints on CD

Plus you can always check ebay. Someone might be selling that is in the same situation as you.

Hi im very new here but thought i should put in my 2 cents

Last year I went on a cruise to Bermuda. I Went snorkeling for the first time ever and used a disposable camera I saw the most beautiful parrot fish, blue tangs, scorpion fish and many others I was so excited when I came home I looked up every fish that I could remember from memory on line so that I would know what they were and waited eagerly for my pictures to be developed. Well when I got the pictures back I was crushed they were terrible. Believe me I am no photographer (Nor do I play one on the Internet) and I am sure my lack of experience underwater did not help. But I will never go on another vacation with a 12$ camera and be disappointed again.
That experience is whey I am here soaking up the great knowledge these fine people are willing to share with all of us. I am going back to Bermuda this June and I plan to get some pictures that I can be proud of with what I have learned on this GREAT BOARD.
I have not purchased a camera and housing yet but I will in the next week or two. I was hoping for the c-8080 and oly housing but the delay in the housing coming to market has kind of killed that plan.
I hope my experience helps you make the best decision for yourself

Ripnrob

Canons will probably be your cheapest way to go and they are good camera.

You asked about digital but if you're interested in film (APS in particular) here's another option.

Over the last few years I have used a Minolta Vectis Weathermatic when snorkeling. It's bright yellow, it's small, it floats, to the best of my knowledge it's the only self contained waterproof camera with a zoom lens (30 - 50mm) which gives you a decent wider angle for underwater but is still very functional topside. It's waterproof to 33'. APS film can be purchased in rolls that hold up to 40 frames. And you can shoot 3 different size/shape pics.

You can see one at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004TJ7P/103-9936909-2318256?v=glance

Good Luck

Mark

Might I suggest renting? Most dive operators have cameras for rent. Use it, enjoy it and return it.

I buy most of my stuff at Underwater Photo Tech in Derry, NH. They offer sales and rentals. It would be a good place for an inexpensive, reloadable 35mm camera like the Fantasea.

Back
Top Bottom