Good drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sirpatty79

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be appreciative of any info you experienced drysuit divers could give me about the Bare NexGen Pro drysuit. It seems like a great deal but I'm sure there are some down-sides to it costing so little Here's the suit... it runs about 800$ retail
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=21010&pf_id=61310

Also tell me guys what important features I should be looking for in a drysuit.
-Pat

sirpatty79:
I'd be appreciative of any info you experienced drysuit divers could give me about the Bare NexGen Pro drysuit. It seems like a great deal but I'm sure there are some down-sides to it costing so little Here's the suit... it runs about 800$ retail
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=21010&pf_id=61310

Also tell me guys what important features I should be looking for in a drysuit.
-Pat

I've never dove the NexGen, but here's my $0.02 worth...

The NexGen is a good "entry level" drysuit. It's commonly used in rentals, and from what I hear the suit stands up to rental abuse quite nicely. Bare has a good reputation as a suit maker, even though it's not DUI :~)

Material-wise, the NexGen is a not tri-laminate material so a little thinner and a little less durable. The bi-laminate will not have the thermal protection of a neoprene suit, so you'll be investing in good quality thermal underwear (like the CT200) and....the suit doesn't come with boots (socks only) so you'll be investing in Trek boots too (I'm partial to the crushed or hyper-compressed neoprene myself, after having a Bare tri-laminate suit and now a Bare XCD2 Tech compressed suit).

Personally, I find the neoprene suits more flexible and offer greater mobility and warmth while diving.

Best advice I can offer is to test dive a NexGen, and maybe one of the neoprene suits too....then call Richard or Shannen at Divetank.com and have them price out what you want. If you want a Bare suit, there's nowhere else I'd think about buying one !!

DSAO,

Craigster

Canadian Craigster:
I've never dove the NexGen, but here's my $0.02 worth...

The NexGen is a good "entry level" drysuit. It's commonly used in rentals, and from what I hear the suit stands up to rental abuse quite nicely. Bare has a good reputation as a suit maker, even though it's not DUI :~)

Material-wise, the NexGen is a not tri-laminate material so a little thinner and a little less durable. The bi-laminate will not have the thermal protection of a neoprene suit, so you'll be investing in good quality thermal underwear (like the CT200) and....the suit doesn't come with boots (socks only) so you'll be investing in Trek boots too (I'm partial to the crushed or hyper-compressed neoprene myself, after having a Bare tri-laminate suit and now a Bare XCD2 Tech compressed suit).

Personally, I find the neoprene suits more flexible and offer greater mobility and warmth while diving.

Best advice I can offer is to test dive a NexGen, and maybe one of the neoprene suits too....then call Richard or Shannen at Divetank.com and have them price out what you want. If you want a Bare suit, there's nowhere else I'd think about buying one !!

DSAO,

Craigster

Good post, Craig.

I'll just add that the compressed neoprene is tough as nails. I have a CD4 that I've been abusing as much as humanly possible for something like 5 years and for the life of me it just won't wear out. Before that I had a trilam suit and it was alway leaking somewhere....

What I like about the nextgen suit are the feet. The other Bare suits have big floaty feet, which I see as a down side.

What I wonder about is how the bilaminate will hold up on the long run. It's probably not the material you want if you're rooting around in wrecks but for just floating around and looking at stuff it probably offers a good balance of price and quality.

And thank God Bare are not DUI. Atleast *someone* out there isn't selling their suits for more than they're worth.... :D

R..
P.S. Craig, Why did you create two usernames?

I have been very pleased with my XCD-2 Tech Dry, but no experience with less expensive bi-laminate next gen. Bare makes nice gear so I would not expect they would risk their good reputation on a bad suit. I expect the next gen will be OK except in situations where you might abrade it (like in wreck diving).

I love my Neoprene D-6 for cold water Lake michigan deep dives,Dove the next Gen as a rental in a warmer water dive and it was a good suit,The Tri Lam and crushed suits are sweet and nice and comfy,
Bare makes a good unit,My old Neoprene Bare keeps me toasty on cold water dives in cheap underwear =Thats why I like it! and I can change it as waters warm or cool,And the darn things has held up well,And the size charts and off the rack fits most divers is nice,I like the boots they fit me well.
Just got back from a deep Great Lake wreck dive and was toasty warm! Got to go and get some fills!

Brad
Photo of the Northener,Todays dive;Off Portwashington,Wisconsin 135' Photo by SwimJim

Hi there,

I had a nex-gen for 2 1/2 years, and put well over 200 dives on it, and i have to say for the money it's hard to beat! I recently upgraded to a bare tri lam hd, which i love. The Bi-lam material is surprisingly tough, and very light. like i said, 200+ dives in the st-lawrence river and the great lakes, the suit has seen more than it's share of wrecks. I would encourage you to go with the soft socks/trek boot combo. you won't regret it. it's also a suit that can be worn in just about any temp/conditon, i've had in on in 75 degree water to 29-30 degree water on the empress. Bare's quality is very good even on their entry level stuff, and the workmanship is guarenteed for life. If you decide to go with the nex gen i don't think you'll be disappointed!

My only comment relative to the NexGen is I am not so sure they can be "custom" fit if you don't happen to be a stock-sized person. Basically, I am not sure Bare really makes these suits, so their ability to alter them may be a little limited. If you require some alterations, you should ask if these suits can be modified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom