Good Dive Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaboy35

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wondered what dive books people have read that they recommend. I just read Deep Descent, Shadow Divers, and I think A Shark Tale. I don't recommend that last one at all, if I even got the title correct. It was written by the guy who wrote Jaws, and I found his stories unbelievable. He's a story teller and that's the impression I got from the book. But what really upset me was that he at times talked of preserving wildlife, especially sharks, then would tell stories of how scary and horrifying they are, and how they can kill you. And all the time while reading how he wants to protect sharks I kept thinking to myself, you're the one who scared everybody with Jaws in the first place. Anyway, I'm currently reading The Last Dive and I was wondering what other books people recommend.

The secret Life of Lobsters,

If your into Ecology, Fishing, and Lobsters.
Has some nice scuba accounts here and there.

The Last Dive
Neutral Buoyancy
Rapture of the Deep
Down Time
Fatal Depth

...to mention a few

ApexLongimanus:
The Last Dive
Neutral Buoyancy
Rapture of the Deep
Down Time
Fatal Depth

...to mention a few

I second these except Nuetral Bouyancy only because it read to much like a school history book . . . But i did learn alot about sponge diving :D : D

I forgot to mention...

"The Cave Divers" by Robert Burgess

Caverns Measureless to Man is a great book

If you like deep descent theres also dark decent by the same author: one about the doria, the other about the empress (I forget which is which). Ditto the last dive is in the same vein .

For pulse-racing excitement, lust and adventure on the high seas, may I recommend both Reduced Gradient Bubble Models in Depth and Basic Decompression Theory and Application, both by Bruce Wienke. Both are ripping yarns which will keep you awake well into the night. :D

Cheers,
Rohan.

I just started a good read that just came out called "Bluewater Gold Rush" by Tom Kendrick who talks about the adventures of urchin diving- which doesn't sound much on the surface- but it's all about different divers and stories (true) about the hey day of commercial diving. It has great stuff about the channel islands, etc. The prologue is what got me hooked. Some other people on another board diver.net recommend it too- I got it from bluewatergoldrush.com- And no I've never met the author or any of his friends- I just really liked the writing and it seems like a home grown kind of book-

Back
Top Bottom