Good Deal ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nightcat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm a newbie, certified and hooked, looking for my first set of gear. I got a quotation from an LDS as follows:

BC: Seac sub pro tech
Reg: Aqualung Titan + ABS Octo
Gauge+Compass: Scubapro
Computer: Uwatec aladin prime

Total: $833

Is it a good deal ?

It's not so easy to find Scubapro items on line, since they don't authorize on-line sales.

You're not really looking for Online prices per say, just a general idea of what they sell for. Plenty of reviews to be found with MSRP prices.

howarde:
It's not so easy to find Scubapro items on line, since they don't authorize on-line sales.

Assuming that's american dollars, that's a pretty good deal.

nightcat:
Hi,

I'm a newbie, certified and hooked, looking for my first set of gear. I got a quotation from an LDS as follows:

BC: Seac sub pro tech
Reg: Aqualung Titan + ABS Octo
Gauge+Compass: Scubapro
Computer: Uwatec aladin prime

Total: $833

Is it a good deal ?

Welcome to our sport!

I am not that familiar with the BC you are looking at so I will gove no opinion.

The regulator is fine but I encourage you to think about the octo choice. Lots of people save money by getting an inexpensive octo, but think carefully about this. You will probably never use your octo, that is true, and if it is used you may not be the one actually breathing from it. But, if it is used it will be used in an emergency situation where both you and your buddy will be under a fair amount of stress. Is this the time you want to be breathing on the bargain basement octo? My backup second stage is exactly like my main second stage. If I ever need to use it in an emergency I want high quality. The price difference is not usually that much either. Think carefully about this one and make the choice you are comfortable with, but make an informed choice.

The instrumentation seems fine to me.

I can not help with the prices.

Mark Vlahos

no i'm not looking at online prices. I'm not living in the US. The delivery charges from online stores is very expensive. Minus the warranty and actual testing of equipment I don't think it's a good deal for me.

Seems that this particular BC I'm looking at is not popular in the US. In fact I don't see a lot of discussion about Seac equipment on this board. Is it lack of distribution in America or just lack of quality ?

As for the Octo I'll think carefully on this one Mark. The think I like about this octo is that it can breath upside down. So in an emergency my buddy can just grab it and breath. For my budget I can switch to a Scubapro R190 Octo. Reliable, proven design workhorse.

nightcat:
no i'm not looking at online prices. I'm not living in the US. The delivery charges from online stores is very expensive. Minus the warranty and actual testing of equipment I don't think it's a good deal for me.

Seems that this particular BC I'm looking at is not popular in the US. In fact I don't see a lot of discussion about Seac equipment on this board. Is it lack of distribution in America or just lack of quality ?

As for the Octo I'll think carefully on this one Mark. The think I like about this octo is that it can breath upside down. So in an emergency my buddy can just grab it and breath. For my budget I can switch to a Scubapro R190 Octo. Reliable, proven design workhorse.

You can breathe on any second stage upside down. It might be a little wet, but it will provide air. After taking a couple of breaths then turn it right side up.

The one time I donated air to a low on air diver he took several breaths on my upside down second stage before he flipped it over.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom