Good Canon DSLR for UW and others @$2k-3k

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asterosdeals

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I’m in the market for a decent canon DSLR mostly for portrait / food photography for now, but would love to also use it (maybe with a different lens) for UW.
What would be a good Canon at about $2k-3k including lens, not including a UW housing?

It really depends on what you *really* want. Your budget is fixed, but you haven't really specified any other details. Some people *say* they want budget, but then the specs tell a different story (i.e. $$$$ camera wanted for $$ price).

There are tons of good deals on DLSR/housing combos here on SB as well as other UW photo sites. Look for cameras especially when "the new model" comes out. I got my Canon 7D and housing for a great price because the 7D MKII had just come out and people want to sell the old one to finance the new one in many cases.

Unless you must have the absolute current megapixel or 4K HD video or other most recent camera feature, just keep an eye on the used camera deals online (like here).

You budget is not out of line for something like a 7D and an aluminum housing. You can even find rigs with strobes at that price.

The cameras in your price range (not including housing) are most likely (from high to low) the 6DII with the 24-105 for $1800, or the 90D with a couple of lenses. For portraiture the 24-105 is quite nice, but mostly useless underwater. UW you want the 16-35 for FF, the Tokina for cropped and the 100 macro. Housings for the 6D are in the $3500 range (Nauticam to $1700 for the Ikelite) and $1700 for the Ikelite 90D.
Are you stuck on Canon? If not there are tons of affordable systems to get to where you want to be.
Bill

The cameras in your price range (not including housing) are most likely (from high to low) the 6DII with the 24-105 for $1800, or the 90D with a couple of lenses. For portraiture the 24-105 is quite nice, but mostly useless underwater. UW you want the 16-35 for FF, the Tokina for cropped and the 100 macro. Housings for the 6D are in the $3500 range (Nauticam to $1700 for the Ikelite) and $1700 for the Ikelite 90D.
Are you stuck on Canon? If not there are tons of affordable systems to get to where you want to be.
Bill

thanks everyone for the various great feedback. I really like the idea of getting a used set with housing from SB or elsewhere.

I like the canon from a non-UW perspective and it’s great lens selection, but I’m quite open to other suggestion for Mirrorless or SLR (full frame preferred) I already have a UW set with Sony RX100 V and strobes.

If you have the Canon 100 macro lens and one of the wide angle lenses (Tokina 10-17 or similar) then housing a Canon is probably best. If not then take a look at the micro 4/3 systems (I changed from 7D MarkII) to Olympus OM-D EM-1 Mark ii and couldn't be happier.
Bill

Start an UW photo rig for the camera is the most common mistake. In reality the camera is the cheapest thing. And will mark the whole rig. In my opinion you should choose a brand of housing, and after that take a look at what camera you can afford for this brand, if DX or FF. After that you should choose the strobes, if electrical cords or optical fiber, Depending the housing you have choose you'll have to use ones or the others. If you go for DSLR camera and want to take wide-angle pics you will need a very powerful strobes, and this means 2000 euros more or less if new.

I think a lot depends on what gear you have for your camera and what camera. If you have the Canon wide angle and macro lenses then picking the housing for the camera makes sense. I agree that if you are starting from ground zero think about housings but also systems. What bodies/lenses are available. What kind of housings (plastic/Al) and what strobes work with the system etc. But many folks who do lots of topside stuff will want familiarity with their UW system.

Bill

Start an UW photo rig for the camera is the most common mistake. In reality the camera is the cheapest thing. And will mark the whole rig. In my opinion you should choose a brand of housing, and after that take a look at what camera you can afford for this brand, if DX or FF. After that you should choose the strobes, if electrical cords or optical fiber, Depending the housing you have choose you'll have to use ones or the others. If you go for DSLR camera and want to take wide-angle pics you will need a very powerful strobes, and this means 2000 euros more or less if new.
Not so much “very powerful strobes” but strobe that has a wide angle of light distributed.

Back
Top Bottom