Goliath Grouper Diving in August or September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bballnut90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hoping to go to Jupiter, FL this summer to dive with goliath groupers for a 5-6 day long trip and also hop down for a couple nights to the keys. I've read these are the best months to go for goliath groupers....are there other factors such as moon cycle that affect their spawning behavior? And are early August/late September usually safe bets to see big groups still? I have a work commitment from August 20th-September 15th so just making sure I'm not going to miss peak times. I'm also aware it's hurricane season down there, so I'm flying Southwest (refundable flights) and booking refundable hotels. Thanks in advance.

Be sure and hit sites all the way down the Palm Beach County coast. Don't dive just Jupiter. The GG aggregate on the wrecks all down the Palm Beach County coast from Jupiter down to Boca Raton. Best sites are typically the MG111 (Jupiter), Ana Cecilia (Palm Beach), and M/V Castor (Boynton/Boca) but there are other wrecks and reefs in the area where they can also be found aggregating. As far as timing, mid-Aug through mid-Sep is pretty much guaranteed UNLESS there is a big storm (TS or Hurricane) that hits the area. Often times they arrive in early Aug and stick around through early Oct.

^Thanks Jim very useful info, your post just made it into my West Palm Beach and Vicinity dive notes.

I did the West Palm wreck treks last year and can't wait to get back there.

Of my limited 20 FL dives, I have only seen the Goliaths on wrecks or sunken bridge spans. Seems like that goes along with what JimBlay said as well. As of yet, my biggest sea critter yet. And so neat to see.

Hoping to go to Jupiter, FL... .
Jupiter is my home port. Been diving here the last 25 years.

..are there other factors such as moon cycle that affect their spawning behavior? ....

Y E P !!

Others will provide advice also,,,,,,,,,,,,but I'll be diving on the morning of Friday August 30th, 2019 to see the spawn at both the Jupiter "Hole-In-The-Wall" and the MG111.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom