Goliath Grouper at MK 111 in Jupiter too

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool Tech " I'm sure we'll get to harass Sandy again real soon " :angrymob:
followed bya nice after relaxing atmosphere :cheers: Thanks Sandy
Job Well Done .

Also, there were several lionfish on the wreck as well.....there were no divers with appropriate gear to kill them, so unfortunately, they survived for now.

We were on that wreck Saturday morning about 8am. Saw plenty of the GG's and was looking around inside the wreck, but didn't see any lionfish. If you post where you saw them, I'll make sure they are properly disposed of.

The GG's bait balls were so thick, it was hard to get an actual clear photo of the GG's. I was really surprised at the absence of yellow tail jacks which are normally devouring the baitballs. The Zion was also loaded with the big 800 pounders and doing lots of thumping.

everyone keep talking about goliath grouper but i havent herd anyone say exactly how big we are talking about, so if someone couuld please put a weight on some of these fish it would fill me in more on how big we are talking about. thanks

Look at the first or third picture with a pylon in the picture.

Those pylons are about 12' tall (they are round) and about 2' diameter...

Estimate the average Goliath around 6' in length and between 450-600 lbs. Some were larger than average and were closer to 7' in length and around 800 lbs

so is this something you see some of the time or most or rarely. i would love to see a fish that big. if i see a 4 or 5lbs bass that big. my guess is this is the grouper we hook when we go deep sea fishing and its like hooking bottom.

I perched at the top of a pylon in the middle of the dive. Between 4 pylons I counted 32 Goliath Grouper at that time. There were more still on the wreck itself (I could hear them thumping).

If you looked away from the wreck onto the sand, you could see a good number of Southern Rays around the area as well.

I had my lobster snare and I was ready to capture one of the lion fish, but by the time I came around the corner they had left visual sight and didn't return for the rest of the dive :shakehead:

It was great diving with everyone I knew and meeting other SBer's I've conversed with on the boards but never met. I'm sure we'll get to harass Sandy again real soon :D

If you can snare a Lion Fish that speaks volumes for your skills or else that's one dumb fish.

so is this something you see some of the time or most or rarely. i would love to see a fish that big. if i see a 4 or 5lbs bass that big. my guess is this is the grouper we hook when we go deep sea fishing and its like hooking bottom.

I only got back into diving last year and can only relate observations from the past 14 months or so. When diving in Jupiter or parts of WPB, occasionally I will see a lone goliath grouper on a reef or more rarely, see two or three together, I have never seen anything close to 15 or 30 together as I did on Friday (at the Mizpah) and Sunday on the MK 111. From what I understand, they are spawning and will gather in large schools for a couple of weeks as they work to propagate the species

If you can snare a Lion Fish that speaks volumes for your skills or else that's one dumb fish.
Not for my skills... Lion fish are known to stand their ground and have no natural enemies in our waters. There have been numerous reported incidents of snaring the local Lion fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom