Goliath grouper aggregation in Jupiter video +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YEAH!! I'm going Goliath diving monday!! CAN'T WAIT.

I went on a goliath grouper dive last year near Palm Beach... amazing! Did you hear the booming noise they sometimes make?

Goliath groupers may be protogynous hermaphrodites. If you remember a previous column, this means they may begin life as females with some changing to males later in life. Other groupers often congregate in the hundreds or even thousands to reproduce. Goliath groupers form much smaller groups due to their low numbers, to over-fishing, and to their role as top predators. Divers have observed such spawning aggregations which peak around the full moon in late summer and early fall. They are not shy, and prefer to mate in the middle of the day. Although courtship behavior was noted, actual mating has not been observed. It is said that the region forward of the pectoral fins in males becomes much lighter than the rest of the body. Females exhibit no color change. Courtship often involves the male inspecting the female's vent and nuzzling her (how sweet). Males also emit their booming sounds, sometimes as frequently as 3-4 per minute. Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

incredible video! Do you know how long they are running off the coast? I am slating some time for diving over the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
BTW, I shot the Video and Amazz posted it. They will probably be around until the next full moon. 30% mix nitrox to due it safely. PM if you have any ?

I went on a goliath grouper dive last year near Palm Beach... amazing! Did you hear the booming noise they sometimes make?

Goliath groupers may be protogynous hermaphrodites. If you remember a previous column, this means they may begin life as females with some changing to males later in life. Other groupers often congregate in the hundreds or even thousands to reproduce. Goliath groupers form much smaller groups due to their low numbers, to over-fishing, and to their role as top predators. Divers have observed such spawning aggregations which peak around the full moon in late summer and early fall. They are not shy, and prefer to mate in the middle of the day. Although courtship behavior was noted, actual mating has not been observed. It is said that the region forward of the pectoral fins in males becomes much lighter than the rest of the body. Females exhibit no color change. Courtship often involves the male inspecting the female's vent and nuzzling her (how sweet). Males also emit their booming sounds, sometimes as frequently as 3-4 per minute. Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

Recent research has shown that they spawn at night. Very cool video!

Had to cancel my goliath dive Monday, but rescheduled for Friday. Can't wait! Rented a wide-angle lens just for the occasion!

Amazz: That is a great video: Some day I'd like to try the Hole in the Wall. I saw a similar gathering of GG's at the MG 111 a couple of years ago. We did not have quite as many GG on that dive, but still had 30 or so. Here's a link to the video I shot. Diving with Goliath Grouper at Wreck of MG 111 in Jupiter Florida - YouTube

Yes I remember that dive from two years ago .The sound they make reminds me of a barking dog .
I trying to do the dive with-in the next two weeks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom