Golem Gear Shrimp BOV- Looking for rebuild documents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gray-PSD

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just picked up a used Golem Shrimp BOV and need to do a rebuild. Does anyone have the paper that comes with some of the annual rebuild kits? Any documentation would be appreciated. Thanks

The paper is an inventory of o-ring sizes. The DSV half is pretty simple, the open circuit side mirrors that of an Apeks second.

Thanks. I'll take a look. I'm an old school paper instructions guy.

I heard the interior guts are that same as an Apex, is this correct? If so, is there a particular model of Apex that I should look at?

Related, I'm looking to grease the loop closure valve, just to ease the turning effort. Is it as easy as removing the 4 external screws with things pretty obvious from there?

There used to be a brilliant you tube video of a full service but got removed a while ago

Related, I'm looking to grease the loop closure valve, just to ease the turning effort. Is it as easy as removing the 4 external screws with things pretty obvious from there?

Ish. Might as well relube the whole thing and do it properly.

-Remove four screws. The connection between this plate and the mouthpiece retainer is the weakest part of the whole system. If it is stuck, do not leverage the mouthpiece to rip it apart. You can deal with this after the below steps.
-Using long allen key, remove the two knob retaining screws. THEY HAVE AN ORING ON THEM. This o-ring may retain itself in the ball recess or may come out with the allen screw.
-Carefully (wooden dowel or similar) press out the mushroom valves through the opposite site. They are a friction fit. Do not break the carrier or the mushroom valve.
-Circ clip sits inside a ridge. Use an appropriate tool or a plastic pick to pinch the ends together and slide out.
-Ball retainer again is a friction fit and should pop out.
-Repeat on other side.
-Rotating ball comes out.

O-Rings:
Mouthpiece carrier: 1
Mushroom valve carriers: 1 each
Ball retainer pieces: 2 each
Ball itself: 2

From memory, but should be nine total. If you're wanting the smoothest rotation, the two attached to the ball itself and the two on the inner surface of the ball retainers are most important. In a pinch, you could only remove the four screws and appropriately lube.

Do so at your own risk and please insert the mushroom valves back in the correct orientation.

2nd stage can be rebuilt using standard apeks 2nd stage kit but take pictures as you disassemble the bov 2nd stage as there are some minor nuances with how the parts fit together that make it not straightforward and kind of a pain to reassemble

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom