Going vintage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you!

You are getting some very good practice for double hose

I push my mask on and suck the air out like a suction cup

View attachment 680009

and dive this one but not anymore with a bucket oval mask

Wow ! A home made Triton clone ? Is that your work ?

Now the next step is to get a doublehose reg to dive with the mask!

Got 2 of them : a Mistral and a Royal Mistral, but never got the chance to dive them.

Nice! Brings back memories. We used old oval masks (Dacor? U.S. Divers? I don't remember) for the university open water course I took in 1986 (the university's scuba gear). Black rubber with a plain bottom (i.e., no pinch pockets for the nose). I don't remember them slipping off easily.

A bunch of our oval masks were blacked out (painted with neoprene paint or taped over with some kind of opaque, waterproof tape) for use with the myriad and frequent harassment skills we all "enjoyed."

I'd love to own and dive one of these masks in open water!

rx7diver

You should be able to get your hands on one of them, several brands are making such masks again.

Can you show a picture of the mask please?

upload_2021-4-17_15-31-14-png.653931.png

Voilà ! :wink:

Another clearing method you might want to try that was used back in the day with mask that did not have nose pockets.
Just press the mask squarely against your face so it seals a bit better, this will allow some pressure to build in the mask and blow out your nose. It's not as effective as pinching your nose but it does work. This can be done with one hand.....works with modern mask too.

Read about it several times, but never tried it so far. Next time I will.

I grew up mostly in my home state of Florida in the 60s and 70s in the Tampa Bay area. Hours spent in the gulf off Anna Maria as well as springs like Lithia outside of Tampa. A great childhood! We also lived overseas some and the last time I used one of these open face, old fashioned masks was when we lived in Taiwan, ROC, in the late 70s. The water off Taiwan and nearby islands was crystal clear and beautiful. On one trip out to Orchid Island, we were all snorkeling and my step-father dove down to check out a reef and hit the front of his mask on a rock and it broke into several pieces! He didn't get cut luckily, but he warned us that our masks didn't have tempered glass.
When we got back to Florida in 1980, I bought my first silicon, non black mask, a US Divers I recall, from a dive shop that's still on US 1 in Riviera Beach/Lake Park. Although with a different name. I used that mask up into the mid 90s.

Back
Top Bottom