Going to Khao Lak January 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuubaadoo

Reaction score
Hi folks. Looking for little help. Going to be staying with my significant other -non diver- and was looking for day trips. Any recommendations and any ideas of cost. I did a quick search and it looks like all the trips are 2 hour boat trips each way. Is this the norm out there as it would mean 2 days away from my partner:D.

TIA

Daytrips will generally be all-day affairs with two dives. Some of the dive sites are a little closer so the journey length will be shorter, but there aren't many half-day trips. Cost is typcially between THB 5000 and THB 6000 for speedboat daytrips, depending on destination (further destinations cost more). The nearest worthwhile dive site would probably be the Boonsung Wreck, and it's possible you can get a half-day trip there. This trip is often done from a longtail boat, and the cost is in the range of THB 3000 for two dives.

I would leave the other half at home and do a live aboard. :D

There are several options for daytrips. The Similans will take about 1.5 hours each way on speedboats and about 2 hours on the big boats (more stable...but more people). On most trips, snorkelers are welcome also. As Quero quoted, 5-6000 is correct. A bit more for Richelieu Rock as it is further away.

Closer to shore, so shorter days, are two very good wrecks done from longtails. These trips will usually have you home by 15:00 and typically cost 2800 or so.

We also do a muck dive a few times a week. Another place that is overlooked, by it is really fascinating is the lake dive near Khao Sok...but this is best done on a one night trip.

Is it practical to do a half day dive if I'm going to be departing on a live aboard that same evening?

Maybe. It will be easiest if you are already in Khao Lak the night before (and I think you plan to be), so that part is okay. Then it depends on the departure time of the liveaboard. You're on White Manta, and they generally leave pretty late (8 to 10 pm) so that part should be okay, too. You might also want to consider that the trip you will be on visits the Boonsung Wreck, but it's a great dive site, and worth doing more than once.

Thanks, as usual. I'll keep this in mind. I've done Boonsung a couple of times and have enjoyed it very much. Not so deep, so plenty of light and bottom time and a wonderful collection of creatures

Thank's. So are there any dive sites that are a "must do" as I will only have two days dedicated to diving. Also is it like Cozumel "speedboat" means a faster, narrower boat, leass amenites and backward roll. Regular boat slower, but swim platform, shade and a little more room? Also I did a conversion I'm looking at about $175.oo US per dive trip:shocked2:

scuubaadoo, the #1 "must see" dive site in Thailand is Richelieu Rock. It's also the furthest one to do a daytrip to, and the most expensive. The prices of the daytrips on speedboats reflect fuel costs to a large extent, and the fact that fewer divers have to make up the cost of running the trip. Also, the park entry and use fee ($20) and equipment rental ($20- $30) are often included in the rate. Yes, it's an expensive trip. There are options for diving from a large boat, but you still need a speedboat transfer to get to them. These are large speedboats, though, and you generally do a giant stride entry and exit on a ladder at a swim step (not a platform). There's shade, and enough room to relax, but not to lie down and take a nap.

If it was me..............I'd do a 2- or 3-day live-aboard with my significant other. There are boats catering to both divers and non-divers, and being on a live-aboard in the middle of paradise is always a hit with non-divers as well :D We often have non-diving spouses on our boat; some of them snorkel - or learn to snorkel - others just want to chill with a book or spend the day on one of the beaches. Just an idea :wink:

Karin :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom