Going to Cairns from US in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello there in Australia. I am traveling to Cairns in February, and would love to take advantage of diving the great barrier reef. I am 68 years old and have done about 37 dives (just got certified in my 60's). I would love a recommendation for a reputable dive shop in Cairns that could take care of arrangements and provide me with an experienced buddy for a day trip. Thanks!
Phyllis

Hello Phyllis

Cairns will be hot and humid at that time of the year but it is still a beautiful part of Australia.

Must it absolutely be a day trip? You could do an overnight liveaboard trip on Reef Encounter (which I have travelled with four times) and see the reef at its best (dawn and dusk). If you booked with Reef Encounter I'd recommend the Top Deck Package. This means you get your own personal divemaster/guide for the duration of your trip and you would dive in a buddy pair only. Obvious advantage is while an 'instabuddy' situation you will have someone attached to the company who knows the dives sites and has trained to DM level. We've always been happy with our DMs on this trip.

If it must be a day trip I would look at either Seastar (small boat 36 people max compared ot some of the larger cattle boats with hundreds) or Reef Experience (but only if you take the Top Deck package, do not go as a 'general passenger' as it is a large boat).

You will need to wear a stinger suit at this time of the year.

Hope you love your dive experience in Australia.

There are a lot of good day trips out of Cairns see here for some of the better ones. Many travelers are in a similar situation to you so you will get buddied up with someone on board.
Some trips like Silverswift have guides included on all dives whilst others like Tusa (my pick of the best day trips) have them as an extra costs so allow you more freedom to dive where you like.

All sites are suitable for all levels of divers and average around 15m or so.

I am a Cairns local and can help you arrange all of your diving if you wanted so drop me a PM and I can give you a lot more unbiased info on the trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom