Going to Bermuda, have questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had many good experiences with Dive Bermuda. I highly recommend them.
Afaik, you can use the beach and locker rooms.

Folks,

Will be in Bermuda for 3 days at the end of April on a cruise. Ship will dock at the Royal Naval Dockyard. Suggestions please, as to which dive outfit(s) to use. Have some experience (about 60 dives), and last dove in December. Am a decent, but not great, diver.

Thanks,

Alan

We did 5 dives over the three days with Dive Bermuda at the Fairmont. Great facilities, excellent a staff and service. Would be happy to answer any questions.

Hi Alan, have you been to Bermuda before? It is a beautiful island but in April the water temps will likely be on the cold side. I think average water temps in April under 70 so a 5 mil, hood and gloves likely needed depending on your cold tolerance.

tkaelin,

Have been in Bermuda, but not since 2008, and then in October. Am hoping the water temp in the last week of April will be a little warmer. I do tend to be cold tolerant.

Any recommendations as to dive outfits?

Thanks,

Alan

Here's another good recommendation for Dive Bermuda. I have dived with them on many vacations, and if you tell them of your experience level, there will be very accommodating.
One thing to keep in mind, is that getting around Bermuda is a little more complicated than some of the other islands. As there are no rental cars, you'll probably have to budget time and money for a cab ride to get to whatever op you may choose to use.

As far as recommendations you can search this section on Bermuda for reviews. There are only a handful of options and from reading the reviews they all have a following and I have not seen reviews indicating that there is one or more that you should avoid.

I dove with Blue Water Divers 2 days in 2009. On day one the diving was good but the Capt. was not. On day two with a different crew the diving and crew were very good. Last summer we stayed at Grotto Bay in booked two days with Triangle. On day one the boat had problems at the dock and the day was cancelled. On day two the boat was still a no go but the owner did a nice job getting all of us on the Tucker Point boat and paid for our cab over. Tucker Point was excellent. I have not dived with Dive Bermuda but they seem to get consistently good reviews.

On a cruise coming in at the Dockyard, time and distance will be your biggest considerations. As stated previously, there are no car rental options. While the bus system is great it is not an option if you are carrying gear (or expect to travel in a wet bathing suit and towel). Scooters are an option but challenging depending on the weather, time of day and amount of gear. That leaves you with a cab which can be expensive and based upon distance probably rules out Triangle and Tuckers. Fantasea is right at the Dockyard and I think they cater to cruise ship divers and work within the ship's schedule.

I tend to avoid dive ops that cater to the cruise ship diver so with that being said your first look should be Fantasea and see if they suit your needs. The next distance wise by land is Blue Water Divers. The next is Dive Bermuda. If you have nondivers with you and you want to travel, Dive Bermuda is in a beautiful location on the hotel's beach and horseshoe bay beach is right next to it as well.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

tkaelin,

Thanks very much for all the information! Will do some more homework.

Wish everyone a fine day! Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom