My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I was thinking of lunges, which people tells me to do. Squats are OK, not sure how it would be adding weights to it.

67A81DCC-69EC-4885-8990-72A5FEA5FB1F.jpeg

This is the wing I’m being given. It’s already on the way (with manifold). 45lb lift. Giver used it for years ocean diving with HP100s/drysuit.

Bands coming next week. Tanks are due for VIP in January. I’ll take them in and have the shop assemble twinset once VIP is done.

Don't allow your ambitions get ahead of your abilities …
SDM

If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. I’m going to try it in the pool over the winter and at the quarry in the spring. What do I have to lose for trying? Like Yoda said, “There is no try. Just do.” I put my money where my mouth is. I’m not all talk and no action. I get out there and dive which is more than I can say for some people.

I looked at the Deep6 but I loathe orange, don't want white fins, and they are out of black in my size (I take a small - size 6 booties).

Some tech fins don't even have a size small enough for me. Hollis F1, for example. The F1 LT does come in a small.

No clue about Jet fins and I am protective of my bum knees. If I'm doing flutter, I'll do it in my splits.
If you have knee problems, you do not want to go anywhere near the Hollis F1 whether LT or not. Even the LT is heavy.....amazing maneuverability though....

Marie, I certainly understand your concern about your knees as I had a knee replacement last year and will need another* in the next decade. I tried split fins early in my diving career (right after my first knee surgeries) and in my experience, the additional effort required to make forward progress in splits was so more than when I used paddle fins, that any benefit was lost. I acknowledge knee problems come in many different varieties, so my experience may not apply to you, and that my legs may be slightly more muscular than average due to childhood and early adulthood soccer, but I was just wondering if you have actually experienced worse knee problems with paddle fins, or you have just been told splits are better for your knees?

*I have a connective tissue disorder which makes most of my joints hyper mobile which is great for party tricks but terrible for joint health

I've had arthritis in both knees from a baseball injury when I was 19. I've found that the only remedy underwater is a camera. Once I began shooting photos I stopped swimming around much.

Marie, I certainly understand your concern about your knees as I had a knee replacement last year and will need another* in the next decade. I tried split fins early in my diving career (right after my first knee surgeries) and in my experience, the additional effort required to make forward progress in splits was so more than when I used paddle fins, that any benefit was lost. I acknowledge knee problems come in many different varieties, so my experience may not apply to you, and that my legs may be slightly more muscular than average due to childhood and early adulthood soccer, but I was just wondering if you have actually experienced worse knee problems with paddle fins, or you have just been told splits are better for your knees?

*I have a connective tissue disorder which makes most of my joints hyper mobile which is great for party tricks but terrible for joint health

I did something to my knees playing basketball in gym class my freshman year in high school - 1984 or so. They were fine for years, but have gotten worse in recent years. However, with all the swimming and now recumbent bike at the gym, they are better than they were. I’m doing 7-11 miles (depending on the specific day) 3-4x a week on the bike at the gym.

I only use splits for pool laps now. Diving, it’s my Deep6 fins.

When trying to flutter in non-splits (except for Deep6), my knees hurt a lot. My primary kick now is modified flutter since I’ve had issues with frog (again). I rarely regularly flutter anymore, but I can do that in the Deep6 fins. I have the small/medium size in white which are a softer material than the black ones, which are stiffer.

If you have knee problems, you do not want to go anywhere near the Hollis F1 whether LT or not. Even the LT is heavy.....amazing maneuverability though....

This was a really old post. I’ve gone to the Deep6 fins for months now.

This was a really old post. I’ve gone to the Deep6 fins for months now.
Yeah I meant you (plural) for everyone else out there reading. It was just a general post in regards to the fins being heavy.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom