Going tech, backmount or sidemount doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmantei

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I am seriously considering starting tech training in the next month. I am told by the instructor that the course can be done with either backmount or sidemount doubles, and there is a sidemount course that I can do before the dive portion of the tech course. The instructor also said that if the student was doing the course sidemount, at least one dive would be conducted in backmount.

I had really not intended to go sidemount (I don't have any intention of cave diving at this time), but that was more out of reaction to it seeming like the latest fad, as opposed to any logical reason, however, the more I research it the more sidemount seems to start making some sense.

I will need to purchase a new BC either way (using a ranger now) so I'm thinking that I need to make my decision early enough that I can make the right equipment purchases prior to the course (thinking a nomad so I still have some flexibility to change down the road).

At this point I plan on doing most dive in lakes and ocean and not doing any penetration dives (wrecks or caves), so the intention is to extended time and range in open water environments. If I go directly to sidemount am I going to be missing an important tool in the toolbox with not having experience with backmount (1 dive does not develop skills).

Personally, I love both - they're tools in the arsenal and each comes in handy for particular dives.

Sidemount doesn't have to be 'just' for penetration - it's really a really handy way to dive doubles when travelling.

I see backmount as the 'cornerstone' of technical diving. It's a good foundation and, once drills are mastered, provides good solutions. It also enables an isolator manifold (sidemount can too... but that's a different story)... which does a lot to simplify gas management. In technical diving - simple is good.

My advice would be to do your initial tech training in doubles, then address sidemount training. Get very comfortable with sidemount in your recreational diving (50-100dives) and then add that to your tech arsenal also.

Here we go again. This is a personal choice. There are benefits to both but some of the major ones that I have noticed are...

1. Sidemount is doable but not fun on a boat with rough seas.

2. Some may argue this but hoes routing is a little more messy then back mount. (just my opinion)

3. Carrying doubles in the Texas heat sucks.

4. Personally if I have to carry more than one stage I prefer back mount.

Just a side note about something you mentioned though. Sidemount is not just for overheads such as caves and wrecks. I like using sidemount when I am shore diving and I know I have a long walk from the parking lot to the water because I can just drop my sidemount cylinders on the shore and not have to carry a heavy set of doubles. Some divers physically can't carry the weight of doubles so they choose sidemount. That being said if this isn't an issue for you than I would recommend that you start with doubles just to learn the basics of that configuration such as hose routing, OOA, and valve drills. You can always break down your doubles and plug that valves making them suitable for sidemount later. I use both backmount and sidemount just depending on the dive and what my buddies will be diving that day. The bottom line is they are both tools for you to use. One tool might work better for one situation and another tool for a different situation.

When buying some tech kit, you might want to consider a hybrid approach to backmount/sidemount. There are various adapters around, that enable regular backmount BP&Ws to be used for sidemount diving. I've got an OMS Profile that I use to convert wings into sidemount rigs - it only costs $120 and does a decent job. Later on, you can transition to separate systems; with a dedicated SM rig like the Razor or UTD (such designs will probably have dropped substantially in price by then).

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. Just to add a little info on why I am considering sidemount...

1. Valve drills in a compressed neoprene drysuit with limited mobility do not sound like fun in backmount.
2. Twin 130's will be REALLY heavy on land.
3. Sidemount will give me an easy option to convert back to single tank backmount for recreational dives.
4. Sidemount will be significantly easier when travelling.

Living in a location that is not conducive to accumulating significant numbers of dives, I will try to focus on skills for either backmount or sidemount initially, even if I do eventually require both.

1. Valve drills in a compressed neoprene drysuit with limited mobility do not sound like fun in backmount.

Valve drills have to be learned. It's one of the easier tech skills, trust me. That, in itself, shouldn't be a primary motivator for your configuration decision... unless you have a specific injury/mobility issue.

2. Twin 130's will be REALLY heavy on land.

Yep. There's no getting around that fact. Sidemount provides a solution in that respect for sure.

3. Sidemount will give me an easy option to convert back to single tank backmount for recreational dives.

Depends on what harness/rig you opt for.

4. Sidemount will be significantly easier when travelling.

And cheaper... you can hire regular cylinders, rather than locating and paying extra for doubles.

This mainly applies to recreational doubles use... if we're talking about technical diving, then expense and effort is something you need a high tolerance for.

I do back mount and have no complaints but side mount does seem easier to travel with. I also plan on taking cave training at some point so I'm going to have to learn side mount at some time anyway.

Another option is to get trained in backmount and dive independent doubles (no manifold) on vacation or if you don't want to carry 2 tanks at a time. Only extra gear you would need are some travel bands and another spg.

I've done it in the past and it works fine. Much simpler/cheaper than a dedicated ,separate, sidemount rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom