Going Pro - Where to do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeerMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi Y'all,

I'm currently looking into IDC sites around the world to step up to PADI Staff Instructor and wanted to know if you had any recommendations on where is "best" and why you chose to do your IDC etc there instead of somewhere else.

Currently enamoured of Koh Tao, but which IDC to choose from? Or, should I go somewhere else???

Seems like every IDC is "the best" - makes it almost impossible to decide, real world feedback from folks who have actually been there would be very welcome.

Ta,

BeerMonkey

I think most would tell you to do it wherever you plan on being so that you have some experience in the area and have made some amount of in roads with the other shops/professionals in the area.

I wrote a little report about my IDC experience - http://nwdivers.me/blog/padi-idc-at-buddy-dive-in-bonaire/

I've also heard the IDC class is finally getting a complete make over after DEMA this year.
Sorely needed -- While the classes thru PADI have been pushing elearning the IDC has been still focusing alot on the traditional methods for teaching the classes. Now while a lot of this still translates when working with students they did need to explain more how the elearning process should work.

Hi Y'all,

I'm currently looking into IDC sites around the world to step up to PADI Staff Instructor and wanted to know if you had any recommendations on where is "best" and why you chose to do your IDC etc there instead of somewhere else.

Currently enamoured of Koh Tao, but which IDC to choose from? Or, should I go somewhere else???

Seems like every IDC is "the best" - makes it almost impossible to decide, real world feedback from folks who have actually been there would be very welcome.

Ta,

BeerMonkey
Where did you do your OWSI IDC, and why not go there again?

I think most would tell you to do it wherever you plan on being so that you have some experience in the area and have made some amount of in roads with the other shops/professionals in the area.

I'm planning on travelling and using my qualifications as a means of topping up on cash by offering courses, speciality marketing to and for "older divers", disabled divers and special needs divers.

I wouldn't focus too much on the location - focus on finding the best CD for you, rather than the best location....

This blog post is about choosing IDCs, but it can have some relevance to choosing IDC Staff courses too - https://goproinparadise.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/how-to-choose-your-padi-idc

Great advice, I guess the thing to do is have a phone interview with the CD and see if I like what they have to say before committing. Mostly they ALL seem to be simply really nice people.... tough choice eh? Choose nice person A in beautiful location A or nice person B in beautiful location B!!

Where did you do your OWSI IDC, and why not go there again?

I'm in the UK... which for the uninitiated means I want to do my course in warm water, not dressed like an Orca!! Relaxing by a beach at the end of the day with a cold beer, instead of hot tea and trying to recover from hyporthermia!

I'm planning on travelling and using my qualifications as a means of topping up on cash by offering courses, speciality marketing to and for "older divers", disabled divers and special needs divers.

That sounds great and I hope you can make it work.

I have been actually looking to do my IDC in Koh Tao. Bought tickets for March 2020 today! I found Sairee Cottage Diving I liked what I read and saw. I was about to ask any for a suggestions and opinions also when I came across your post. Check out www.saireedivingcottage.com .... Seems like the CD is extremely professional, personable, friendly, and seems to know how to have fun while doing so.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the place if you take a gander,

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom