Going Pro on Phi Phi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiptopperoo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi guys,

New to the boards and have read a heap of stuff already, plus my search turned up nothing particularly specific. So sorry to flog a dead horse but I could really use some advice from those in the know.

I did my O/W and 2 of my advance dives on Phi Phi with Barakuda diving last December. I loved every minute of it and now that I have finished my uni degree I am going to spend a few years diving as much as I can.
So I would like to do all courses up to instructor.
At this stage I would simply go back to Barakuda and do it all with them. They are not cowboys or cattlemen and I was very pleased with their teaching last year.

However, reading through the posts on this forum, not many people have recommended anywhere on Phi Phi to do DM + IDC +IE. Is there a specific reason for this?

I am not worried about price (whats a few hundred baht anyway...no really?), I simply want to learn from someone reputable who will enable me to become the best instructor I can be. Being a new diver I have only about 9 dives under my belt, so I also want somewhere that I will be able to dive to my hearts content (hopefully free, or whilst being paid).

I am arriving in Thailand at the start of March 08, completing my advanced course, then doing a liveaboard to the Similans for a week. After that I am heading to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam and intend to arrive back in Thailand early April. I figure this gives me a good 5-6 months to get as much experience under my belt and hopefully become a qualified instructor, right before high season starts, and I can get a job.

Wow thanks to anyone who has made it this far.

So bottom line: I am after the best dive instruction and experience I can get, all the way to instructor. I would prefer to avoid the Gulf side of Thailand, just because I have heard a number of bad things about places on Samui and Tao. However I am always open to new ideas.

Thanks again
Dave

Dave,

Not sure of the bad things you heard about Samui or Tao, but do consider the time of year you will in Thailand. Season for Phi Phi runs October - May and then it switches to the Gulf side. In order to become a DM you need to assist with courses. Make sure you pick a place that has the business to get you through the program. Based on your time frame of April, I would consider other options.

Your travel options sound great, but maybe visiting some of the Gulf sites would be worth your while. You can do some great wreck diving in Pattaya and the Koh Tao area offers great diving in areas like Sail Rock and Chumpon. My advice is meet with the instructor you will be paired with to do your DMT if possible. This would also be wise regarding your future course director. I did not mind Samui or Tao, but that is me. I head back for my IDC in July. If you want particulars let me know.

Good luck,

Arizona

Dave, i would agree with Arizona. Not sure what probs u have read on tao/ samui, maybe the big dive centres on tao arnt the best to go with for doing OW but maybe a good idea for an internship or DM.

Why dont u use some of your travel time to check out some dive ops, maybe do your AOW with one around phuket then travel to tao and do some fun dives to compare or vise versa then make your decission. Tao tends to be busy 10 mnths of the year so there are going to be plenty of dives for u to work on, Pattaya is also busy with internships but i recon chances of a job there after are slim.

Im not an experienced diver and this is only my 2 pence worth but i would use your travel time to take a look around after all Phuket - PHi PHi - Samui - Tao - Pattaya all these destinations are very easy get to from one another.

I would be interested to see what decide. Anyway enjoy when u go.

Tiptopperoo,

Arizona summed it up pretty well. The season has shifted by April and you may want to re-consider your options and go out to various places and meet up with people that you potentially target to do courses with.

I was once in a similar situation, completed my Rescue on Phi Phi, went back the next year to complete my DM course there and ended up doing my IDC in a different part of Thailand. The dives sites around Phi Phi are great, but as already mentioned, be aware of the season.
The reason I didn't stay on Phi Phi; it was too small. After 6 weeks I was really glad to get off there, but that's just my personal opinion and experience. Koh Tao is almost the same for me, great diving to be had, but too small at the end of the day to really enjoy it, from my point of view.
Samui, where I live, has many other options and conveniences besides diving and that suits me just fine. By the way, I really wonder what you heard about Samui/Tao, feel free to discuss or send me an email or PM.

Good luck with your choices.

Thanks a lot for all the responses so far. I think I am going to check out a few operations on Tao and Samui before I make a decision. I am not keen to stay in Pattaya too long as I have heard it can be a sleazy place due to the sex industry (any comments on that?). Although I would very much like to go there and dive the wrecks.

Question on buying gear, is it cheaper in general to buy gear in Thailand ie around Phuket etc?

Thanks again
Dave

Hi Tiptopproo,

Although Pattaya does have all the sleaze, if you stay at Jomtien beach, it's a lot less there and very nice. You want to check Thailand wreck diving, Thai technical diving and dive software, Thai shipwrecks run by a very decent bloke in Jomtien, Steve Burton.

As regards to equipment, deals on offer in Phuket will most likely be matched in the other dive destinations in Thailand, like Koh Tao, Samui, Bangkok (yeah yeah, dive destination! does have plenty of dive shops though) and Pattaya.

Yeah... conceder to send pm to limbo and talk about koh Tao/ koh Samui. Maybe you will get a other view on this islands or more better visit this fantastic place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom