going pro: how did you get started in the dive business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClosefocusWA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

From a newbie to the boards, wanted to ask a question for those who've been down the path before. Essentially: how did you get started in the diving business - i.e., getting DM and instructor certifications, acquiring helpful, marketable skills such as compressor, engine, and dive equipment repair, etc.?

I'm thinking about what it would take to transition from the business/corporate world (I'm currently in a professional job in the US and in my 30s) to an occupation that would allow me to dive all the time in a tropical place -- which I believe entails being in the dive business. This could be working in a dive shop, as a dive instructor, on a liveaboard, etc. I'm a certified diver for about 8 years with about 400 dives, but am only at an AOW cert level - no rescue, divemaster, or other training.

For those who've made similar transitions, how did you approach it? Get instructor training at home on nights and weekends, then look for a job wherever you wanted to go? Go to the location and pay for the instructor training? Go to a "instructor boot camp" program - as seems to be offered in places like Thailand, Roatan/Utila, etc.?

Would welcome any thoughts (or your own stories) either on the board or by PM.

And apologies if this has been asked many times before...please feel free to point me to the relevant threads.

Hello all,

From a newbie to the boards, wanted to ask a question for those who've been down the path before. Essentially: how did you get started in the diving business - i.e., getting DM and instructor certifications, acquiring helpful, marketable skills such as compressor, engine, and dive equipment repair, etc.?

I'm thinking about what it would take to transition from the business/corporate world (I'm currently in a professional job in the US and in my 30s) to an occupation that would allow me to dive all the time in a tropical place -- which I believe entails being in the dive business. This could be working in a dive shop, as a dive instructor, on a liveaboard, etc. I'm a certified diver for about 8 years with about 400 dives, but am only at an AOW cert level - no rescue, divemaster, or other training.

For those who've made similar transitions, how did you approach it? Get instructor training at home on nights and weekends, then look for a job wherever you wanted to go? Go to the location and pay for the instructor training? Go to a "instructor boot camp" program - as seems to be offered in places like Thailand, Roatan/Utila, etc.?

Would welcome any thoughts (or your own stories) either on the board or by PM.

And apologies if this has been asked many times before...please feel free to point me to the relevant threads.

I grew up in the dive business so I'm not in the exact same position as you but I'm going to put in my two cents anyway.

Keep your day job. Do rescue, divemaster, and instructor training where you live. Find an instructor to take you under their wing and start "helping out" with dive classes as soon as possible. Take your time and try to learn as much as you can from a seasoned instructor. Don't get in a big hurry. I always found that instructors that went this route were much better than the guys & gals that did accelerated training.

When you get your instructors certificate and before your on your way to the carribean, leave your old job on good terms. I knew many people who took jobs in the caribean, and gave up after a couple of months. While your working on your training why not make a trip to Grand Cayman (for example) and go talk to the expat divemasters and get their opinion on going pro.

Good luck and have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom