going from zeagle express tech to ss bp/w - what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ve been diving with a Zeagle express tech with the (essentially weightless) polymer backplate and 24 lb horseshoe wing on my last 100 or so dives. Diving in a 5mm full wetsuit, I use 12 lb of weight (2 lb on each shoulder and 4lb on each hip), and have been able to establish good buoyancy, trim and SAC rate. I’ve always been curious about using a weighted bp, and just purchased a used DSS bp/w with 17 lb torus wing and 6 lb SS bp (and I calculated that that lift will be just sufficient).

I’ll be diving with it for the first time in a few weeks and will be experimenting with trim, but thought I might try to get a heads up before then. I’ve read just about every post on bp/w but could not find anything addressing what difference I might experience going from an essentially weightless bp to a 6# bp. Can anyone suggest anything that might require a change in technique? And any suggestions where to place the 6 lb of additional weight (in addition to the bp) that I’ll need? Currently I have weight pockets on the hip straps.

Thanks

When I went from an express tech to a stainless bp with an LCD20, I noticed the more rigid connection to the tank and that the tank did not rest against my backside as closely. When I switched from teh LCD20 to a Torus17, I liked the donut over the horseshoe wing. Apparently I swim lopsided as air would get trapped in one side or the other.

I would guess that your weighting would be 6 lbs (3/side) on the waist strap now. Note that for some people using a 5mm wetsuit, their center of buoyancy will shift as they go deeper and the neoprene compresses. Normally your body is pretty neutral except for your lungs, so putting your weight near your lungs works well. A wetsuit shifts the buoyancy towards your legs, moreso at the surface than at depth. It isn't normally a big deal, but just be aware that if you are trying to get your buoyance "perfect", you should try to check it at different depths to see how the compression affects it.

I used about 12 lbs with a 5mm and a conventional BC, al80. Switched to a thick SS BP from OMS, and a thick OMS STA. I have about 4 lbs in this XS Scuba weight belt, 4 small weights in 4 pockets:

Pocket Weight Belt

I can put a rock in a pocket if I need to. My belt is a medium, 6 pockets. I tried weights on the BP waist strap, didn't care for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom