Going for 2 weeks in June, any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My son will graduate from college in May. He has decided to put off law school for a while and instead spend a year in Thailand. To help him pass the time, he plans on enrolling in one of the diving schools there to become certified as a DM and possibly instructor, although he does not intend to teach diving.
Anyway, being older and slightly more sensible, I suggested he at least visit Thailand before making such a rash decision. SO, we are going to Thailand for two weeks this June to dive the dives, eat the eats and do the whatever one does in Thailand that is legal, safe and reasonable.
Any suggestions on what area is best for diving? What dive shop offers good packages? Where to stay - land based on liveaboard? Anything else you find important we should know?

Thanks

If you come on reconnaisance trip to Thailand, do some online research for areas and shops that would be interesting for your son and visit the dive shops/dc's that you're interested in.
You can see than how they're run, how their boats and staff are, what the Course Director is like and get a general feel for their set up. In general a very good idea to combine the practical with the enjoyable!

It will make it a lot easier to make a decision later. Your son wouldn't be the first one to make such a choice, we get a few people with similar back ground and ideas like your son coming through each year.
Don't hesitate to look me up on Samui

There are only a few legal, safe and reasonable things to do in Thailand. Thankfully diving with a reputable dive school is one of them.

Limbo has some good suggestions and is also well placed for a June trip, being at Koh Samui in the gulf.

Only come over the west side at this time if you like monsoon.

There are lots of great places to train in Thailand, and Limbo has given you some excellent advice. Why not spend a week on each "side" of Thailand--the Gulf side and the Andaman side to visit some schools, do some dives? The fact of the matter, in my opinion, is that even during the low season, the dive sites over here are prettier than the ones in the Gulf with a greater variety of marine life.

Which brings me to surinboy's advice, with which, I beg to differ. Though I would not discourage anyone from going to Samui, and while it may not be such a great time to go up Phang Nga province, I have to say that down here on Phuket June is a perfectly fine time to come. We dive year round here, and it's actually more pleasant in some ways during the low season as the boats aren't as crowded, the hotel rates are lower, and the general vibe a bit more mellow at that time of year. Plus the image that the word "monsoon" conjures (constant downpours) is nothing like what we actually experience for weather in June. Also, during low season, the folks at the dive ops will be able to spend more time with the prospective candidate than during the rush of the high season.

Apologies...my mistake. Quero is absolutely right.

Even having stayed in Krabi and Phuket for some time I still dont see them as being "west coast" which of course they are. I also agree that some of the most pleasant diving happens in those areas in low season and finally I definitely agree about the marine life.

What I should have said is don't come to my part of Phang Nga because there is MONSOON here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom