Goin back to Cozu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just booked a trip for the family in early July. Staying at El Cantil condos, and diving with Tres Pelicanos.

Haven't been to Cozumel since 1996, so I expect a lot has changed, and many of the things that will strike me as different actually be the same.

One thing I can't recall is the current strength on the shallower second dives. Is it greatly reduced or is macro photography pretty much out of the question.

Exchange rates, where are the best rates given?

Grocery stores is one any better than the rest. How about fish markets?

Restaurants, always looking for good authentic local cuisine. With two teenage sons cost and portion size can be important.

Rental car companies, may want to rent a vehicle for a day or two either in Coz or Playa del Carmen, any or outfits to avoid?

Other advice welcome.

TIA,
AREW

Cozumel has changed (first time in 1998). Much bigger and more people. Though less with the quarantine/pandemic. More dive pressure on the reefs but they look good. Some places are very healthy.

Shallower does not necessarily mean stronger currents. I do take photos in higher current. Macro is tougher but aside from stopping, it's spotting something.
I will shoot macro on the shallower sites like Tormentos, Yucab, and Punta Tunich. Shallower sites like La Francesa and Dalila are good for all kinds of photos but the current can pick up. I hesistate to mention all the non-wall/pinnacle sites as the current and visibility varies. I would organize this with the dive op if you want to linger for macro in slow current and by day.

Offically around 19 - 20 MXN to 1 USD for exchange rate. You will get less depending on where it is. Supermarkets (Mega/Chedraui and I've not checked the others) give good rates. The exchange houses would give less than others - they take their cut. Hotels are not good. Taxi's are horrible. Restaurants - depends. Banks aren't going to do exchanges unless you have an account. ATMs can give a good rate but there may be card fees depending on your card.

Mega and the Chedraui are good - tourists mostly go here. SuperAki and Sorianas (though Mega is part of Soriana's now) are not really geared for tourists but have good stuff. Depends on what you are looking for.
I usually don't recommend restaurants since everyones tastes and budgets are different. I am sure you will get responses for the Best restaurant in town.

I have used Fiesta in the past and never had issues. Friends have used the rental car companies at the airport but there is cheaper. On one occasion, they were glad they took photos of the car on pickup as the airport car company tried to charge for damage on drop off. Depends on what you want for a car - new, big, spotless, functional, beater. If you arrive in Cozumel and want to go to PDC and back via ferry, they are packed.

Just booked a trip for the family in early July. Staying at El Cantil condos, and diving with Tres Pelicanos.

Haven't been to Cozumel since 1996, so I expect a lot has changed, and many of the things that will strike me as different actually be the same.

One thing I can't recall is the current strength on the shallower second dives. Is it greatly reduced or is macro photography pretty much out of the question.

Exchange rates, where are the best rates given?

Grocery stores is one any better than the rest. How about fish markets?

Restaurants, always looking for good authentic local cuisine. With two teenage sons cost and portion size can be important.

Rental car companies, may want to rent a vehicle for a day or two either in Coz or Playa del Carmen, any or outfits to avoid?

Other advice welcome.

TIA,
AREW
Current is highly variable on all dives but especially on the shallower ones. It's usually pretty brisk on Punta Tuniche and slow to nonexistent on Colombia Shallows, but most places it changes all the time.

I'm pretty sure that Mega (supermarket) will be new to you; it's big and convenient. Chedraui is still there and pretty much the same as it ever was.

You'll see a lot of changes to the restaurant selection, though some of the regulars remain. La Choza moved around the corner after their second or third palapa fire. Pancho's Backyard, Palmeras, Pepe's, Casa Denis, and El Moro are all still there, or at least they were when I was last on the island in May 2019. Capi Navigante, Sonora Grill, Santiago's, Acuario, and La Morena are all no mas. Some new entries that I like a lot are Kinta, 'Ohana, Kondesa, and Buccano's. I especially recommend 'Ohana; it's owned and run by Mateo (Matt from Chicago) and his wife. He is a DM at Blue Angel and his wife's family also owns Rasta's at the south end of the road on the east side.

The best exchange rates are at ATM's, but only use bank owned ones; the standalone sidewalk ATM's are notorious bandits.

Staying at El Cantil you might want to forego renting a car; it's pretty centrally located and cabs are cheap and plentiful. Parking at El Cantil might be problematic, too. Even for a trip around the island a cab may be your best option; I used to be the designated driver but no more. Hiring a cab for the day is easy to do and the cabbies all know the drill. They will take you where you want to go and patiently wait until you are ready to move on.

Enjoy your trip!

Second dives can have a lot of macro with a boutique shop. Never dove with 3Ps, but clearly have a good reputation. Tell the manager/divemaster you would like to see macro stuff and as long as you aren't part of a group of 8 they can probably make it happen.

There are definitely fewer seahorses than 20 years ago, but they are still around. I saw 2 in a week in December but hadn't seen any in years prior. I suspect the Lionfish are the culprits since they are supposed to be voracious eaters of small stuff.

Not that hard for a divemaster with good eyes to find lettuce sea slugs, leech aglajas, black aglajas, painted elysias, flamingo tongues etc. There are several slightly rarer macro subjects out there (Shaun the Sheep, Painted Aglaja, and a few others). Not really macro, but obviously we still have splendid toadfish which can be interesting on second dive. Note that at many "second dive" locations I see way more larger life than on first dives. It is not uncommon at all to see green moray, nurse sharks, eagle rays and turtles at Cedar Pass (though the first 3 are more common than the turtles in past couple of months).

There are definitely fewer seahorses than 20 years ago, but they are still around. I saw 2 in a week in December but hadn't seen any in years prior. I suspect the Lionfish are the culprits since they are supposed to be voracious eaters of small stuff.

I have heard from several sources on Cozumel that humans are also contributory to the decline in the numbers of seahorses. They are a popular addition to personal aquariums and they are being poached for that purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom