God's Pocket may be closing. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All,

Bill and Annie sent the following out to organizers of trips to God's Pocket. I've asked and received their permission to repost it in its entirety:
To our Valued Guests and Friends.

Changes are coming to God’s Pocket.

Over the last few years, most of you have heard us speak about our situation here at God’s
Pocket regarding our existing lease, and the “limbo” that has created for us. (The First Nations
Bands and the Provincial Government are in negotiations as to who actually has title for a vast
amount of land in this part of the world, including God’s Pocket.) At this time, we find ourselves
at a critical moment with health challenges, business, family obligations and have settled on a
course of action. We wanted to share this news with you as soon as we could, and, as always,
we appreciate your devotion to and interest in God’s Pocket and its future.

What does this mean for you?

First, God’s Pocket is for sale. We are not listing it with a real estate agent, but rather making
it known to all who have spent time here as prospective buyers. As it stands, there are almost
four full years of lease remaining. While the 30-year lease application process continues, we
also believe it is possible to secure a 5 or 7-year lease (which other businesses have done)
which we believe would make the purchase much more attractive (extending the life of the lease
until 2025 or 2027). As of today, we are sold out for 2017; 70% booked for 2018, 40% for 2019
and 30% for 2020. We are aware of one party with interest in a potential purchase; we invite
others to consider the opportunity and to let us know as well.

Second, If a sale is not pending by Aug 1, 2017, we will only commit to a limited amount
of future bookings and will be canceling others.
Currently all bookings through July 2017 will
not change. (We do not plan to commit based on whose trip it is – we will look strictly at our
calendar and our ability to host the sort of experience you have come to expect at God’s
Pocket.) However Bill is on a wait list for Knee replacement surgery and could cancel at a
moments notice. He has an appointment with his surgeon on May 26th, and will have more
information at that time as to what the Summer/Fall will look like.

To be very explicit, what this means is that we may cancel your booking in the second half of
2017, or in 2018 through 2020. A full-refund will be quickly forthcoming, of course, with our
deepest regret for your disappointment. We also have no idea whether a new owner will simply
take our bookings and proceed but we imagine that as the most likely possibility. We will
continue taking deposits for future trips anticipating a long future for God’s Pocket.

We have loved owning God’s Pocket, hosting you in this special and remarkable part of the
world; we have been honoured to become a part of your lives and, in many cases, to become
friends. It has been a privilege.

We will keep you informed as this transition occurs. In the meantime, we welcome any
expressions of genuine interest in the purchase of God’s Pocket.

With warm regards,

Bill and Annie

A tragic loss (IMHO) if no buyer appears

We're on the first trip in August. Annie told us it will still be on but no word on two trips scheduled for next year. It will be a tremendous loss if a new buyer with Bill and Annie's experience and character doesn't step in. After the sale of the Nautilus Swell there are really no comfortable options for diving Browning Pass. I've still got my fingers crossed.

If I had a few million dollars I would love to start a Port Hardy based operation with a nice hotel and boat to take divers to the great diving sites from the Quarterdeck Marina. There wouldn't be enough business to make it profitable but it would be great to have a warm water type of resort for the World's best cold water diving.

The political reasons for this are so effed up in so many ways. There is no way a buyer will come through given all the uncertainty with the lease that is attached to the sale. Sad news.

The political reasons for this are so effed up in so many ways. There is no way a buyer will come through given all the uncertainty with the lease that is attached to the sale. Sad news.
It really is a pity the First Nation people don't have more foresight. . . you could easily drop another 4 dive operations into this area and you would never see the other boats. One should be able to derive a very nice income (and employment) for a number of people while preserving the area and allowing more people to enjoy this very special place

I feel very blessed I'm on the last trip of 2017 (I also have a deposit in for 2018 'fingers crossed')

Last edited:
God's Pocket is the hands down the best dive destination /experience on the plant, and Bill & Annie are some of the nicest people I've ever met. I really hope their luck turns around soon, as they have built an incredible business and care very much for the environment and their customers. I hope nothing but the best of news for them during this difficult time.... My fingers are crossed for the land dispute to get somewhat resolved soon, and for someone with the drive (and heart) to keep this amazing resource available. I will forever cherish my experiences with them, and wish them the best!

I'm just back from The Hideaway and am returning again late in September. I think that this is truly some of the most amazing diving on the planet. (Topside is pretty amazing too.... whales, dolphins, wolves, bears, birds etc.) We talked a lot about the situation at God's Pocket and it seems like it's partly a case of unfortunate timing. Bill and Annie for personal reasons are ready to move on. My understanding is that the First Nations folks are fine with renewing a lease, but want a 30 year commitment. Anyone looking to purchase the lodge would obviously be foolish to do so without having a long term lease in place.

To compound matters in the area, John at The Hideaway is getting older (aren't we all) and my guess is that the future of that place is in question as well.

Like MaxBT, if I had a few dollars, and larger cojones, I would seriously look at opening a Port Hardy-based operation to serve the area. With the right boat, all day trips to the area wouldn't be out of the question. It is a fairly short season though, so dropping $zillions there would make for a challenging ROI calculation.

Mrs Stoo accompanied me on this trip (her first time, my 25th over 32 years) and loved the area. This is an area we are seriously looking at as a retirement location. If we do, my trusty Zodiac Hurricane will be moving with us for sure.

Here are a few images from last week... https://www.facebook.com/stuart.sel...04505.1073741934.632159504&type=3&pnref=story

Last edited:
I'm just back from The Hideaway and am returning again late in September. I think that this is truly some of the most amazing diving on the planet. (Topside is pretty amazing too.... whales, dolphins, wolves, bears, birds etc.) We talked a lot about the situation at God's Pocket and it seems like it's partly a case of unfortunate timing. Bill and Annie for personal reasons are ready to move on. My understanding is that the First Nations folks are fine with renewing a lease, but want a 30 year commitment. Anyone looking to purchase the lodge would obviously be foolish to do so without having a long term lease in place.

To compound matters in the area, John at The Hideaway is getting older (aren't we all) and my guess is that the future of that place is in question as well.

Like MaxBT, if I had a few dollars, and larger cojones, I would seriously look at opening a Port Hardy-based operation to serve the area. With the right boat, all day trips to the area wouldn't be out of the question. It is a fairly short season though, so dropping $zillions there would make for a challenging ROI calculation.

Mrs Stoo accompanied me on this trip (her first time, my 25th over 32 years) and loved the area. This is an area we are seriously looking at as a retirement location. If we do, my trusty Zodiac Hurricane will be moving with us for sure.

Here are a few images from last week... https://www.facebook.com/stuart.sel...04505.1073741934.632159504&type=3&pnref=story
Great pictures and thanks for sharing! What was the water temp like?

Great pictures and thanks for sharing! What was the water temp like?

Thanks! More macro than I prefer, but given the vis, that was the best option~ This is my gallery from last October, when vis was awesome. I'm heading back there in a few weeks, so looking forward to that!

https://www.facebook.com/stuart.seldon/media_set?set=a.10154831102449505.1073741920.632159504&type=3

Water temps were about the same as fall... low was 47°F/8°C but average was 50°F/10°C. I was glad for my warm undies! ;-)

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.
:(
I guess I have to be on Facebook to see the photos.

Sorry... that second gallery was set to "Friends" only. I've deleted all my skinny dipping shots and changed to "Public"... ;-)

There's a bunch here too:
British Columbia, Canada - wetspot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom