God's Pocket closed :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We just got word that God's Pocket will be closed for the entire season. We were scheduled to be there in a week and a half. No word yet about refunds, but for the second year in a row, they are losing a ton of money due to situations beyond their control.

Remind us what happened last year? I’ve got Hornby booked for July, fingers crossed.

Canadian borders are closed to everyone but citizens, permanent residents and their immediate relatives plus US citizens. However our provincial government is asking Americans to not visit if they can avoid it. I expect that God's Pocket thought it would be best to just scrub the season.

3 weeks short of my Curaçao trip, the only bright side is it’s all shutting down before leaving.

Are you sure it's for the entire season? We have a trip scheduled in September and have not heard anything.

Remind us what happened last year? I’ve got Hornby booked for July, fingers crossed.
The First Nations held back approval of their permit for six months. They lost bookings from the last few months of 2018 and finally opened in April of 2019.

Update: They are now only closing for the Spring season this year.

Are you sure it's for the entire season? We have a trip scheduled in September and have not heard anything.

Richard Salas just corrected his email to us.
"One clarification, they are just closing down for the Spring season and waiting to see if in the fall things will be better."

I'm probably the most moral person you could ever know. I just believe that everyone is going overboard with their panic.

I really hope for your family, friends, and neighbors that you come around and realize this is not panic. It's the real deal. Everyone is trying to help with the efforts of slowing the spread or "flattening the curve" by staying home and yet, your worry is that your dive trip won't be going on.

Just for your info, BC is having a really tough time with the virus right now and the people of BC won't be very happy about you coming to their province right now. The majority of our country is angry that we haven't closed our borders to the US yet, since a significant number of infected persons have had recent travel to the US.

I'm not trying to be mean to you @MaxBottomtime and @Merry, but your posts seem to suggest you really have no idea what's going on in BC. It appears that you've placed the importance of your trip over our efforts at fighting this virus.

B.C. health minister to U.S. visitors: 'Don't come' | CBC News

(Edited by mod)

The fact that some of us are looking at the data and not seeing the need to crash our economies and harm more people in the long run, than will be hurt by the virus is not immoral. Not having food, not having a place to live, and then having healthcare rationed because we are in a deep depression could be worse than the cure for Corona/Wuhan.

Hey Max, another trip that my wife and I planned may be cancelled. The people we were going to visit, bike with, and dive with will miss the income we were going to happily give them.

Covid-19 is dangerous. But we need to balance our actions in our dynamic world.

cheers,
m

I really hope for your family, friends, and neighbors that you come around and realize this is not panic. It's the real deal. Everyone is trying to help with the efforts of slowing the spread or "flattening the curve" by staying home and yet, your worry is that your dive trip won't be going on.

Just for your info, BC is having a really tough time with the virus right now and the people of BC won't be very happy about you coming to their province right now. The majority of our country is angry that we haven't closed our borders to the US yet, since a significant number of infected persons have had recent travel to the US.

I'm not trying to be mean to you @MaxBottomtime and @Merry, but your posts seem to suggest you really have no idea what's going on in BC. It appears that you've placed the importance of your trip over our efforts at fighting this virus.

B.C. health minister to U.S. visitors: 'Don't come' | CBC News

According to data, BC has had the virus for a longer period of time because your province is experiencing recoveries. We have not had the virus in country long enough for recoveries (compared as a percentage). Are you sure Canada did not give the U.S. Corona?

At this point it is all anecdotal. Still.

The majority of our country is angry that we haven't closed our borders to the US yet, since a significant number of infected persons have had a recent travel to the US.

So you speak for all Canadians?

upload_2020-3-17_15-52-15.png

(Partial edit by mod)

If Canada believes that banning Max and Merry from visiting your country is the safe thing to do, I don't think Max is upset about that. Economically, it is going to hurt everyone in the long run, and that is sad, but possibly worthwhile.

Cheers,
m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom