go to Cobalt Coast for first time or LCBR again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoooter961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We've been to both LCBR and CBBR. If we didn't really care about the activities outside the resort and just went for the diving, would you go back to LCBR or go to Cobalt Coast for the first time? I like the idea of being able to shore dive but if the diving is that much better at LCBR we can go back there.

We've been to both LCBR and CBBR. If we didn't really care about the activities outside the resort and just went for the diving, would you go back to LCBR or go to Cobalt Coast for the first time? I like the idea of being able to shore dive but if the diving is that much better at LCBR we can go back there.

I have never stayed at CCGCR but I have visited and dived with their reef divers operation and it was a very nice place and good diving. And I have done a number of dive trips to GC over the years to shore and boat dive with different dive ops.

According to your profile you haven't done many dives yet (?) so you might want to give CCGCR a try and see how you like it and report back to the rest of us who are interested! The shore diving option will increase your opportunities for inexpensive dives and night dives.

Each of the Cayman Islands has their fans but I like all 3 of them! I think that LC does have the best diving because Bloody Bay and Jackson's Bight are fabulous but keep in mind that if the weather turns against you and you have to dive the south side then the diving is nice but nothing too special.

Brac diving is very good IMO and you have more options to find good diving on different sides of the island if the weather isn't cooperating. Plus the Tibbett's is a fun wreck dive and there is more natural beauty to enjoy topside on Brac than on LC. I think that it is the most dramatic and topographically interesting of the 3 Cayman Islands.

Grand Cayman has a lot to offer. The Seven Mile Beach is spectacular. There are wonderful restaurants, shopping and topside activities. There are both developed and undeveloped parts of the island so you can pick the area that you like best.

You also have a lot of choices for very good diving around different sides of GC if the weather is an issue. I think that the East End has some of the best diving IMO but it can get rough. There is very good diving off the North Wall but it isn't always available in the winter months. I've also had some nice dives off the south side when that area had the best conditions. The corals on the West side are not always as dramatic as the East and North Walls, but there's lots of fish life and some interesting wrecks including the Kittiwake, and the weather is more likely to be calm on the west side when things are too windy and rough elsewhere.

Since you have already dived Brac and Little you might want to give Grand Cayman a chance. Cobalt Coast is in a more remote area of West Bay, north of 7MB, but not terribly far from things. And everybody should dive Sting Ray City at least once. You might consider renting a car for a couple of days and exploring.

I should mention the one thing that GC diving doesn't offer that you get in the Sister Islands are all the friendly groupers. I love those groupers and there are not many around GC, but you will see lots of tarpons, turtles, eels, colorful tropical fish - loads of rays - masses of silversides during the season, and some sharks so it should be a good time.

If you do decide to go to CCGCR, I suggest late Spring or Summer because that is the time of year when you are most likely to be able to shore dive the house reef and dive the nearby North Wall. The house reef can get winded out during the late fall, winter, and early spring.

You already know that you like the Cayman Islands and that Clearly Cayman and Reef Divers run a nice operation together - so why not give CCGCR a try?

But if you want to take greater advantage of the topside attractions of GC, then there are other places to stay and dive ops to consider as well as CCGCR.

Let us know what you decide!

Thanks @KathyV. I guess it was time to update my profile lol. We have also stayed at Sunset house for a week and rented a car for the week and did a bunch of exploring. So this time its just the diving. I wasn't overly impressed with the diving at CBBR so we've decided not to go back there. We didn't do much exploring of Little Cayman, I know there isn't much but still. We are stuck going April 4-11, my wife is an elementary school teacher and can't take a full week off other than spring break.

Both Cobalt and LCBR are good options. I personally like the diving on LC marginally better than GC but have had incredible dive days on both islands.
LCBR is slightly nicer and newer than Cobalt; but on the other hand, Cobalt is a cheaper trip, has shore diving on site and you would not have to take the hop over to LC with it's cost and inconvenience. Flip a coin. Either side will be a winner.

If cost is not a factor, I would lean slightly towards LCBR.

Thanks @KathyV. I guess it was time to update my profile lol. We have also stayed at Sunset house for a week and rented a car for the week and did a bunch of exploring. So this time its just the diving. I wasn't overly impressed with the diving at CBBR so we've decided not to go back there. We didn't do much exploring of Little Cayman, I know there isn't much but still. We are stuck going April 4-11, my wife is an elementary school teacher and can't take a full week off other than spring break.

Well, if you are already familiar with GC and the shore diving at Sunset House and you want to spend time just diving then it sounds like LCBR is the winner - and an excellent choice!

But make your resort and flight reservations soon whatever your decision, Spring Break and Easter are the high season and things book up quickly!

You might also look at going East in GC and staying at Morritts or Ocean Frontiers. Lots of big boys in gray suit almost regularly right now. Some great shots from a drone this past weekend showed a hammerhead, reefie a couple of nurse sharks all on the prowl together for an early breakfast in the North Sound. No sooner did they go out of range when a couple of eagle rays appeared and that was in the sound!!!

Hi @Scoooter961

I've been visiting the Caymans for 22 years now and have slightly over 250 dives there. One thing I have really come to appreciate is the diversity and variety offered off the 3 islands. My visits have included 2 stays at Cobalt Coast (prior to change in ownership), 2 stays at LCBR, 1 stay at CBBR, and 2 stays at Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers, a 4th place you might want to consider, also on Grand Cayman.

I see you have stayed at Sunset House on Grand Cayman but don't know what diving you did while you were there. Grand Cayman west side has some really great dive sites, but, my favorites are the north wall and the north and south sides from the east. As others have said, access to the north wall is somewhat seasonal. If you stayed at Cobalt Coast, you would also have ready access to good shore diving at the resort, included in you package, but also at Lighthouse Point and Turtle Reef. The caveat about the season often applies to these shore diving sites also. One advantage that Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers has is that they can choose to do the north or south side dependent on conditions, both sides have great sites. The southwest corner is one of the few places that Reef Sharks are frequently seen. As you have already been to LCBR and CBBR, those are already known entities to you. If I were to return to Cayman Brac, I would probably take advantage of the shore diving as well as doing boat dives.

You have several very nice options, I don't think you can really go wrong. Take the season into consideration and then decide whether you want to try something new or return to a previous favorite.

Very best and good diving, Craig

Edit: Just saw your dates, would probably make the north and shore diving more reliable, someone like @caydiver could better guide you there.

I'm all about experiencing new places if given the opportunity. Sounds like you're looking for something new.

If you stayed at Cobalt Coast, you would also have ready access to good shore diving at the resort, included in you package, but also at Lighthouse Point and Turtle Reef.

Agree! Have stayed at CC twice and if diving is all you want to do, the location is pretty good. It is mainly divers who stay there. An all-inclusive option is available but I would recommend a rental car anyway - then you can drive to a couple of the shore diving spots @scubadada mentioned, which are ~10-12 minutes away. Of course, the CC shore dive is on site and not too bad. When we were there, shore dives were included free only on days we dove, but we didn't do any of their stay and dive deals. Boat dives go to some really nice sites in the North Sound and can go around the West End toward Seven Mile Beach.

Thanks everyone. We have decided to try Cobalt Coast. One reason is we can fly direct from BWI to GCM and won't have to worry about transferring to LCM and missing our flight back to BWI like we previously did. Are there any rental car companies that will deliver a rental to the resort?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom