Go pro or other

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sabanist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I'm know next to nothing about underwater photography. I have searched the forums and am a bit overwhelmed when it comes to cameras.

I am looking for something that would be good for stills and video at depths from 120 and shallower.

I can find go pros for relatively low prices but how are they with stills?

What other type of setup should I be looking for for a first purchase?

Thanks

Another option that has a comparable price is Intova. It does not have the same video capability as the Gopro but stills should be easier due to the view finder. I just bought one for my granddaughter from these guys: Digital Camera Store | Cameras for Sale

While GoPros excel at video, stills would be considered inconvenient at best. The shutter lag can be upwards of a second and the shutter button can be difficult to press. The lack of flash capability is very limiting. At depth, stills can be taken with video lighting, but it takes fairly good lighting to prevent blurring. You will also need to purchase a flat lens to make the camera useable underwater and that adds significantly to the cost. The lack of a viewscreen is also fairly limiting but that can also be remedied at a cost.

Truly, you need to give some thought as to where you plan to go with this. Are you just wanting something to take funpics with or do you think eventually you might get really serious with this and want good solid pieces to grow with? That kind of information will determine where is the best place to start.

Hey there! I agree with Flareside...the gopro is an awesome camera for video, but the stills side, especially for UW photography is not great.

I would look into the Canon S100 or Olympus EPM-1... the S100 is great, as a compact its easy to use, and small, but it also offers manual functions which would really allow you to grow with the camera as you get more comfortable with UW photography and learn more. (means you're not going to buy something and want to upgrade as soon as you get comfy with it!) The EMP-1 is the next step up from that, its a mirrorless type camera, bigger sensor, but they've made the controls more similar to that of a compact camera, so it is really easy to use.

There are a variety of housings and set ups you could do with these cameras, from different strobes, to wide angle or macro lens add ons. I'd say start by thinking what type of pictures you most like taking or want to take then focus your research there. Hope that is helpful!

It really depends on what you want to shoot... I use a GoPro to record various tech and rec dives when it's more about the dive than the movie (as long as I remember to move my head slowly). If I want to focus on the video or stills, I'll take one of my Canons in a housing down (and probably the gopro too, just for good measure). I've never used the GoPro for stills but I agree with Flareside's comment - that shutter lag will destroy any chance of a good wildlife picture.

The GoPro or contour is a nice choice but don't take stills with it. Instead take video and then capture the stills out of the video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom