Go Pro Hero 4 Silver for night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My Go Pro is going on its first dive trip. Do I a strobe light for night dive videos? Can I use my 2000 lumen flashlight? I am new to Go Pro's and underwater video.
What settings would you suggest? I plan to do minimal editing, mostly cutting out video.
It was recommended that I use these settings.
Resolution 1080
FPS. 60
Pro tune on
ISO 400
Low light off
EV compensation -0.5
Wide angle
Is this about right or should I leave FPS at 30 and not have to worry about the other setting?

You don't use a strobe for video, strobes are used for stills.

If your light has a flood setting, you may get nice results with it. You might need to adjust WB in post, though, it depends on your light's color balance. If it only has a spot setting, you'll get a small, bright hotspot in the center of the frame, and you should use a dedicated video light.

The biggest disadvantage of using your dive light for lighting your video is that it gets awkward to use it for signaling. That doesn't work very well if the light is set to flood, and lighting a video with a handheld light is a bit awkward.

GoPro is an action (video) camera. It does not have the capability to trigger a strobe so there's no point in getting one.

I would shoot at 1080P/60 - the footage will be noticeably smoother.

The only time to go to 30fps is if you're shooting 4K or 2.7K since I believe you still have to for those resolutions with your particular model.

The biggest disadvantage of using your dive light for lighting your video is that it gets awkward to use it for signaling. That doesn't work very well if the light is set to flood, and lighting a video with a handheld light is a bit awkward.
I'd like to expand a little on this.

Night dives are among my favorite type of dives. I love night diving, and my only problem with night diving is that in my part of the world, night diving means autumn/winter diving, which again means cold conditions and risk of crappy weather.

For night diving, one should - IMO at least, and also according to standards - carry at least one spare (backup) light. "Two is one, and one is none". And since light signaling is THE way to get your buddy's attention (move beam back and forth or up and down in your buddy's field of vision, calmly if it's a non-emergency, quickly if it's urgent) or signal "OK?" "OK" (draw a circle on the bottom with the beam), a narrow beam is really the only good solution. OTOH, as I said, using a narrow beam for lighting video will give you a small hotspot in the center of the frame.

My primary light - a SOLA - has both a spot setting and a flood setting. I've tried using it for night diving videography, but I had to choose: Either use it to light my video, or use it as my diving light. Particularly since I don't like using a handheld light for my video; it usually gets too close to the camera so I get too much backscatter. So I mount it on an arm on my tray, which makes signaling even more awkward. If you dive in great viz, backscatter will of course be less of an issue, but I think it'll be a little tricky to get good, even lighting with a handheld light.

It's of course possible to use your backup light as a primary light/signaling light and the original "primary" on flood as a video light. If any of those lights dies, you still have a backup, and you can abort the dive safely. To me, that was not a good solution. Particularly since my SOLA drowns the beam of my backup, so my buddy will have some issues with seeing my signals. So, I've bit the bullet and bought a second SOLA - which serves as both a video light and as a focusing light for my stills photography.

However, a lot of things are possible, so if you're on a budget, why not try it? Just remember to carry a backup light, make sure your buddy can see your light signals and remember that buddy awareness is important, so don't focus (pun not intended) too much on your videoing :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom