Go Pro camera tray with dual lights or mask mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Somewhat new to the diving world but I do know I want to start capturing my dives on my gopro. I have a trip planned to Belize next month and I'm not sure which set up is best. Can I please get some pro's and cons for both methods from all you experienced divers. I'm look into the Mako camera tray transformer with two flex light extensions as a starting point. Thanks in abvance. I

Sounds good. There's not much to a tray. It's a piece of metal with handles to which you mount a camera. It provides stability by allowing two handed grip some distance from center. Lights are crucial to goo video and light arms are just a means to attach them and aim them.

The Mako system looks a bit odd and not very compact but is a low priced setup that will get it done. The tray is as inexpensive as they get, the flex arms are ok, and the lights look similar to Archons that an ok budget entry-level light.

As for a mask mount, don't even think about it. Your head moves around a lot. Your brain smooths it out and stabilizes it but the video will make you nauseous.

Agree with Reefhound. When I first got my gopro, I had it on my head with string attached to the mask strap and gopro (in case of loss). Well loss would not be the problem but all the bubbles coming up was sure annoying.

The options to mount your go pro depends on what you wish to spend. I agree with the earlier post about the arms etc. I bought an Ikelite tray and handles along with a mount for a light. It was like $190 online...I also learned once you have the basic mount connections for the flex arms (to the tray) you can buy the segments on line through aquarium supply houses. The brand name is called Loc-Line. I bought additional segments for 1/2 of the cost what the UW dive photography shops wanted. Being a newbie a year ago and my first dive I quickly learned a light and a good bright light is what you need. I went cheap with a 850 lumen led light and it was ok but on deep and darker dives it was not effective. It turned out to be a great flashlight but not a video light. Fast forward to today I bought a Light and Motion 3800 which is incredibly bright w/brightness adjustable and I cant wait to use next week in the Philippines. I would recommend (if you have not got it yet) to look into a filter system for the go pro. There are options to consider but the one I bought and happy with is the Flip Filter system by Backscatter. It is very effective and gave me the option to use a filter and a macro lens for up close video. Again not cheap but worth it to me.

Like you decided I wanted to have more fun diving by being more active in the dive and taking pics or videos. Plus having the video to look at is fun after the dive and playing around to make a trip video to music...another side benefit was after hours I spent more time in my room than in the bars....well maybe a bit shorter time in the bars...

I have my GoPro on a pole. Another option to consider. The pole extends out to about 3 feet. Works great for selfies and to get close to creatures without scaring them off.
GoPro Stick.JPG

One more vote for a tray. Does not look as cool, but does the job much better....

I attached mine to a two foot floatie and hold it in my hand secured by a wrist strap...simple and effective. I have had no need for external lighting.

All depends on what you want:

- record entire dives without regard to framing quality, bubbles or shakiness = mask mount works fine

- Better quality, ability to frame your shots, but still somewhat shaky (off-set by Hero6 stability and post-production software) = one handed pole, stick, or wristmount without lights. Filters definitely help. Fine for wider angle shooting, especially with a filter.

- Best quality, most stable, ability to get "wow" shots at distances < 10 feet = two-handed tray with lights and filter + macro lens.

Obviously cost and complexity increase as you move from mask mount to dual.handed tray with lights. Increased complexity doesn't mean hard....just takes practice to learn the system's capabilities, weaknesses and sweet spots for getting quality video footage and still images

GOPR0533-8-XL.jpg

Lobster%20macro%20image%20v3-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom