Glue for velcro on tank strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

I'm borrowing a BP/W that I'm thinking of buying (it's awesome), but the velcro on the tank straps is too small and won't accommodate my 15L steelie.

The only thing holding the tank secure now are the clamps, so I need to add some velcro on the nylon webbing to keep it secure.

I was at a local (Aussie) hardware shop, and the only suitable glue seemed pool reparation glue and some kind of compound stuff (expensive). Loctite clearly stated that superglue was not the best option if it was to be used in water, so I inferred the rest of the super glue would be the same.

So, what is the best way to stick a piece of velcro to the nylon webbing of a harness so that it doesn't come off in salt water? Or do I really need to to sew it on there (in which case I'll have to get married pretty fast, as I don't have a wife to do it for me...)

Thanks in advance.

While I only dive salt water on occasional winter breaks, I've used normal neoprene glue for this. I put a few layers of the glue on the webbing till it was 'smooth' before attaching the velcro. So far its held up well on my Ranger. Its been a year or so now with no sign of tearing off (about 100 fw dives), but then there is not much force against it. Tacking the corners with thread may be enough to remove any chance of the velco tearing away if you feel the need.

The velcro does not hold anything other than the end of the flap in place for a clean look. The cam is what holds the tank on a standard BP/W setup. Why not just make an extender out of velcro? Two pieces of velcro sewn together or purchase something premade, or double sided.

One style of cam band Most do not separate, but it gives you an idea.

So, what is the best way to stick a piece of velcro to the nylon webbing of a harness so that it doesn't come off in salt water?

Glue is not going to do the job.

Best way:

lu1500.jpg

Next best way:

21uAf9qmF%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tobin

I have used neoprene cement (used for wetsuit repairs) to glue velcro to tank straps when rebuilding or repairing scubapro straps. It works great. One coat on each surface, let dry for about 5 minutes, a second coat on each surface, let dry for 10 minutes, then attach. It can be a little messy but holds great.

Back
Top Bottom