glue didn't stick to latex neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe ca

New
Reaction score
I just replaced the neck seal on my Viking dry suit. I used a heat activated glue AC350 that I purchased from KME. I peeled the old neckseal off, cleaned and sanded the rubber on my suit then glued on the neck seal. I used a heat gun and had to stretch it a little to tack the front back and sides; then I heated and rolled the rest down. It looked good, but a week later I tried to peel it off the suit to see how good it stuck and it peeled off way too easy. The glue stuck good to the rubber suit and it's very hard to remove, but the glue peeled away from the latex seal easily and left it clean like new. Even the overage of glue that didn't come in contact with the suit peeled off the latex seal easily with my fingernail.
I don't know what I did wrong (other than being a tightwad and trying to do the job myself). If anyone has any suggestions, I need all the help I can get!

Did you sand the new seal and wipe it off with solvent?

Just try again with another round of surface preparation on both the suit and the seal. :)

Dave C

I like to prep my seals by cleaning with Cotal, sanding, and then cleaning with Cotal again. I don't know about AC350, but when I use contact cement, I lay down a base layer, let it dry over night, and then lay down a second layer of glue.

Also, make sure you don't get any finger oil on it when you are prepping and gluing.

That glue will fall off of latex that has skin oil on it.

D(B)

I like to prep my seals by cleaning with Cotal, sanding, and then cleaning with Cotal again. I don't know about AC350, but when I use contact cement, I lay down a base layer, let it dry over night, and then lay down a second layer of glue.

What kind of cement did you use, Rick?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom