Gloves and hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for ideas on keeping hands warmer (able to function longer) during dives in winter/early spring New England waters. I dive wet and use 5mm kevlar Aqualung gloves and they are ok but wondering if there is something else that might work better. It is usually the hands/fingers going that mean the end of the dive, everything else is good. I'm not a fan of the mitts as I like the dexterity of finger gloves for my camera, etc. How about a pair of cotton gloves underneath? I do that with cotton socks for my feet and that helps. Or maybe what about some kind of dry gloves? Thanks.

Have you tried 7mm mitts? If the choice is to have your hands half frozen and suffer reduced dexterity (in 5 mm gloves) or have you hands warm in 7 mm mitts (and suffer similar reduced dexterity) the choice may be simple.

I tried the mitts and didn't like them, at least with the 5mm finger gloves I have dexterity for a good part of the dive.

Looking for ideas on keeping hands warmer (able to function longer) during dives in winter/early spring New England waters. I dive wet and use 5mm kevlar Aqualung gloves and they are ok but wondering if there is something else that might work better. It is usually the hands/fingers going that mean the end of the dive, everything else is good. I'm not a fan of the mitts as I like the dexterity of finger gloves for my camera, etc. How about a pair of cotton gloves underneath? I do that with cotton socks for my feet and that helps. Or maybe what about some kind of dry gloves? Thanks.

I've been very happy with my XS Scuba Drive-5 gloves XS Scuba 5mm Dry Five Pyrostretch Dry Gloves
Technically these are semi-dry gloves. I have no trouble manipulating my camera with them and have much better dexterity that the Atlas/Showa 'papa smurf' gloves I was using before.

Local diving means the water can be in the low 40's. YMMV

Playtex dishwashing gloves under your regular ones? That's what I use down south under my tropical gloves when it's a bit nippy.

I use the aqualung 5mm heat gloves when the waters are 44 and above. And the 5mm dry 5 gloves stated above for colder than that. The heat gloves I have personally dove Rockport, MA with last year in 37 degree water for 53 minutes. No tingling or numbness. The down side is you lose some dexterity due to thickness. I prefer the dry 5 over the heat because they have the built in dam that slows water flow. Try those, they are difficult to put on dry, and really difficult wet.

I use the aqualung 5mm heat gloves when the waters are 44 and above. And the 5mm dry 5 gloves stated above for colder than that. The heat gloves I have personally dove Rockport, MA with last year in 37 degree water for 53 minutes. No tingling or numbness. The down side is you lose some dexterity due to thickness. I prefer the dry 5 over the heat because they have the built in dam that slows water flow. Try those, they are difficult to put on dry, and really difficult wet.
Yepper on the doff/don. I find putting some undiluted baby shampoo on my hands makes them much easier to get on/off.

Yepper on the doff/don. I find putting some undiluted baby shampoo on my hands makes them much easier to get on/off.

Nice, I usually have some with me as I use it for my mask.

Try wearing a pair of gloves underneath your neoprene ones (latex, rubber etc even the disposable ones that you get at filling stations). That will help keep a certain amount of warmed water close to your skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom