Glover's Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coraldream

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are you likely to see at Glover's Reef in April, May?
i.e. Manta rays or hammerheads that time of year? Wondering if anyone has info. Thanks

At Glovers reef you could bump into anything at anytime of the year the same goes for Turneffe and Lighthouse, what you can expect not too far from Glovers is the Whales Sharks of Gladden Spit which start arriving on the full moon of April May June.

check out the couple of videos on my Placencia Page Dive Belize – Placencia & Whale Sharks | DIVE BELIZE Complete Guide to Diving Belize which will tell you a bit more about it.

Ralph also is a member here he is a dive operator there that also runs the Whale Shark excurisons

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!
We are looking into whale shark excursions as well, thanks for info. I've also heard that Pompion, Ranguana, South Water Caye are good dives. Working on choosing a dive operator down there, I've narrowed it down to 3, but all sound great via research. I'll check out your videos, thanks again!

Another thing we're working on is booking a night tour to Cockscomb Jaguar reserve from Placencia. Doesn't have to do with diving, but noticed that some of the dive shops offer it. I was wondering if anyone has taken one of these trips & should we use a dive shop or find a land based tour company to book it? Or has anyone just driven to the reserve there from Placencia? Thanks very much

I think you'll find that the dive shop merely passes on your custom to one of the established land tour companies. That's how it works up in San Pedro. Saves you having to research and guess for yourself.

I've been to Cockscomb a few times in the day time. It's really nice. DO NOT get off the trails though, especially if you're in there at night. The growth is thick and 20 feet off the trail, you could get lost. REALLY lost. It could be really cool at night though.

Glovers is really nice diving. Crystal clear water. Hammerheads are pretty rare though. I've only seen a few here in 11 years.

FYI, If going from Glover's Reef down to Gladden Split to see Whale Sharks be advised that the ride is something like an hour and you are outside of the reef so the ride can be pretty rough at times. It is bad enough coming Placencia.

If you are going to have a vehicle you can do the Cocksomb night adventure on your own. I go hiking there about every second week. They have rustic accommodation including bathrooms, showers and kitichens there or you can just go and come back to Placenica for the rest of the night. You may as well use the park rangers as guides rather than getting one at a dive shop like ours. The park rangers are all Mayans who moved out of the lumber camp when the park was created on the understanding that they would benefit more from the reserve than they did as a lumber camp. Those rangers are very very knowledgeable. You should not do a night hike without them as you will see a lot more with them than you will on your own.
If you have a Hennesey type hammock that would be ideal and they have a special area for them. I can reserve a spot for you there (no cost) if you e-mail me at ralph@splashbelize.com and let me know the exact dates - or you can wait until you get here and do that yourself.

Thanks very much everyone for the great info. Much appreciated! Can't wait to check everything out down there in Placencia. I thought maybe the hammerhead sightings would be rare, but had read somewhere they could frequent Glovers. Great info. on Cockscomb too, thanks! We'll stop by your shop Ralph when we get there..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom