Gloucester is toying with a beach walk on fee at some beaches.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was all outraged indignation until i realized MY town charges a walk-in fee for our duck-doo-doo pond. Lifeguards, clean ups and road maintenance to get there do cost money.

If I was a Gloucester resident I would be all for this. I am not tho, so I get no say in the matter. At least it doesn't affect the diving spots.

A similar ordinance was proposed for Monterey, California and later Laguna Beach, California about 55or so years ago .

The city fathers aka city councils wanted to limit access to the beaches- only for residences and their guest and totally prohibit all forms of Skin and SCUBA diving.

One proposal was the would allow diving but with a city license..which was totally unacceptable, another as to tax air sold in the only dive shop in the city - also defeated

It was determined that the beaches and access to the beaches were in public domain as was the water in the ocean .'

After considerable negotiations city ordnances were enacted allowing beach access and aquatic activities, so long as with in the confines of the city diving ordnances .

It appears you have a much more serious problem on your hands, especially if it is a popular diving location

Good Luck,
Sam Miller,111

Fortunately I live in California where the beaches (at least part of them) are considered to be the public's.

The major diving locations in MN now charge a parking fee and also require a special permit for instruction of any kind that costs $100-$400 per year depending on the location, and requires proof of $1m liability coverage. Some locations require a location-specific permit for purely recreational dives. So far, these are free, but they are used as a potential means of disallowing divers who the city doesn't like without a hearing etc since their issuance is completely discretionary.

We also have many access points where scuba diving simply isn't allowed, either by the park board, or the county. While the waters are public waters of the state, the various local units of government pass these ordinances. Perhaps they would hold up in court. Perhaps not.

The latest tool that shoreline landowners are using to discourage public use of public waters is mandatory compliance inspections for presence of invasive species. These laws don't yet address dive gear specifically but they do address boats and trailers. Inspection locations have limited hours, compliance is time consuming, and so it becomes a barrier to non-landowner use of the lake.

Bill,

You were not a part of the diving community when the Battle of Laguna transpired
-- And it was a Battle !

The beaches in California are free, but parking is regulated by meters and permits ..

The access to the beaches can be blocked by residences who have beach front property --This was the basis of the battle - which began at Shaw's cove. The home owners wanted to block access to the beach via a path way. It was determined that the path way had been used for over 7 years and was in the public domain.

After the battle all Laguna beaches were opened to divers and surfers...

Yet in Mexico a structure can not block public access Build a home blocking the beach abd beach goers can open the front door and walk through the home to the back door and to the beach.....Interesting

I was all outraged indignation until i realized MY town charges a walk-in fee for our duck-doo-doo pond. Lifeguards, clean ups and road maintenance to get there do cost money.
agreed - singing beach in manchester also charges a walk on fee. post is for info, not to incite riots.

If I was a Gloucester resident I would be all for this. I am not tho, so I get no say in the matter. At least it doesn't affect the diving spots.
well, good harbor beach is salt island...

Back
Top Bottom