Gladstone / Keppel and the GBR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Moved to Gladstone recently with work, saw the signboards on the way up the highway proclaiming "Gladstone - the Gateway to the barrier reef" - and on first few days scoured google, maps, info centres and all over and totally amazed to find there isn't a single dive centre in Gladstone, nor so far as I can tell a single dive boat (except ferry to Heron Island) offering dives out around the close by islands or GBR - or if there is it is very well hidden !! :shakehead:

2 hours drive North from Gladstone up to Yepoon - Keppel island is a short distance offshore & I'm told a few years back had awesome diving, but - amazed again, not a single dive centre to be found in that area, nor a boat offering dives around Keppel island - or if there is they are very well hidden !! :shakehead:

2 hours drive South from Gladstone - Agnes Water, dive centre that I'm told used to be there is gone, and no other dive centre, nor regular boat offering dive trips (except tourist day trip to Lady Musgrave island). :shakehead:

So options within 2 hours drive from Gladstone -

- Ferry to Heron Island goes daily, but timings mean if you want to head for a dive or two, you need to stay overnight on the island.
- Ferry from town of 1770 offering tourist trips to Lady Musgrave, where you can get two dives in.

And those are the only "Gateways" to the GBR within 2 hours either side of Gladstone - Amazing and disappointing :depressed: if one considers it is just onshore from the GBR !

2.5 hours South in Bundaberg there is one dive centre offering shore dives, plus there are flights to Lady Elliot but to dive there you need to stay overnight.

If anyone by chance could advise if there is a hidden dive centre or dive boat operating within close reach of Gladstone, or how to get to dive around Keppel island - then I'd be forever be in debt to you - Or if anyone is thinking of opening a dive centre where one is needed - look this way !

Cheers

No, that is about it. You are 70 km or so from the GBR in Gladstone, so not worth anyone's while setting up a dive business there. Heron Island is worth it.

clownfishsydney / MA,

Oh for a lottery win for my own boat !!

Heron I was at 3 weeks back for a few nights, and though weather was hot & sunny, alas the viz was pretty poor and must admit buddy and I weren't that impressed with the diving, but just the luck of the days I hope. When I can figure out a couple more days off work I'll be heading out there again, as despite hearing in advance resort wasn't as good as it used to be, I actually though it was a great place to laze around, and didn't have a problem with the place - guess it's going to be my most frequent dive location !

Musgrave I was at late August, on the tourist boat and had one outer wall and one lagoon dive, again wrong day with poor viz, but wasn't too bad - albeit $ a little steep !

Lady Elliot - Yep, managed to get there almost 3 years back and to date the best diving I've found anywhere, crystal clear water, amazing variation in the ocean life - 5 species of shark on my first dive, plus mantas, turtles and fish so large they dwarfed my diving missus -- and for sure on the agenda again in coming months.

Keppel Island - Ain't so far from Yepoon, and if I could find a boat/tanks/guide up there - I could pretty much guarantee half a dozen diving work mates would be heading up there on a regular basis, as there are quite few in Gladstone looking to dive.

Cheers

Guess I was spoilt in Taiwan - as within an hour of leaving house I could be diving :(

Back
Top Bottom