http://www.diveheart.org/

Give it up for the biker dude In the SB Diver Drive!

Would you donate to a SB Diver Drive charity fund?

• No.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Yes.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • PayPal is a good choice.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • PayPal is a bad choice.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I gotta see the big check first.

• I'd be willing to donate time.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • You are wasting my time.

• You are wasting my time and trying to steal my money.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It's Dr. Evil not Austin Powers.

• Please do not post any more polls.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RS

Reaction score
The "Lowest of the Low" thread has got me thinking. I noticed a lot of people were quick to put up $10 or $20 on that thread, and had an idea that maybe folks might be willing to follow through on the board if it was easy to do so. So, how about a SB "Diver Drive" for charity? Rack up good karma, help some people out and gain admiration and respect among your internet diving buddies. This is just an idea now, but if some folks can help sort out how to do it, it may work.

Here's one way:

Disinterested diver reads "lowest of the low" thread, the "Little Tyler" thread, or one of the many accidents and incidents stories, and suddenly becomes interested in charity. Now interested diver comes to "Diver Drive" thread and posts a donation amount and two charities that he recommends, along with their contact info. It could be your local church or shelter for homeless or guidedogs for the blind or whatever. It could be to the account opened for little tyler. You just have to list the contact info so the organization can be verified. After 30 days all suggestions are tallied. The two most frequent suggestions would each recieve ~40% of the total fund, a small amount would be reserved for operating the drive (something to SB and something to paypal or visa?), perhaps one suggested charity can be picked at random to receive a small donation (~4%), and 15% would go to DAN. In fact, how about just sending 4% to the church cdiver helps out with?

Here's my donation post as an example:

$20.

American Cancer Society

http://americancancersociety.org

Reef Check

http://www.reefcheck.org/

You can donate whatever you wish, $5, $10, $1 (or even as Austin Powers might say, "One-MMMMillion Dollars!"), whatever you're comfortable with. Payment would be done when you make the post and could be via PayPal or some other on-line pay service (Visa?). I don't know how to set this up; can anyone help?

I guess one way to pick the two main charities would be to list the top ten or twenty ranked charities in a follow up poll and give everyone on the board 30 days to pick the winners. I'd also need help setting up the poll (see above). Maybe fisherdvm?

It's just an idea, and probably is full of holes. But what do you think? Are there legal or ethical probs that would be too much hassle to deal with? Any ideas on how to tally everything up and deal with the logistics? What is a good way to manage the fund? Of course, I'd be willing to donate some of my time too.

Just had another thought, how about raffling off a couple of prizes? A new regulator set, or scooter, or LP gift certificate?

i've been meaning to sign up for paycheck deduction with United Way for a while (i never signed up again after i last switched jobs) so i am going to do it tomorrow

my donations will go to the Hubbard House (a local shelter for abused women and their children) and to the Mt. Carmel Senior Citizen Assisted Living Facility (seniors have a lot of needs, and they are not "sexy" like children")

thanks for the gentle shove

JimLap:
After reading that thread a local radio station was having a drive for St.Jude's. Sent em 50 bucks.

Right on dude! I'm writing another $300 check for the romanian orphanage. Actually, I just send it to my priest every year. I guess it gets there!?!

We run a Muscular Dystrophy Fundraiser every year with our Harley Owners Group.

This is last years website, still working on this year's....http://mdatubrun.jvlnet.com/

After seeing Matt the Aquaman on TV and getting to meet Capt Gary in Chicago I know this is the charity I will raise funds for....
Cheddar

H2Andy:
i've been meaning to sign up for paycheck deduction with United Way for a while (i never signed up again after i last switched jobs) so i am going to do it tomorrow

my donations will go to the Hubbard House (a local shelter for abused women and their children) and to the Mt. Carmel Senior Citizen Assisted Living Facility (seniors have a lot of needs, and they are not "sexy" like children")

thanks for the gentle shove

Andy I gave it my all :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom