Give Advice or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently researched a new reg purchase and ended up with a AL Legend and Legend Octo. SB was key in making this decision. My daughter just finished her OW pool classes and I noticed while checking out their Zeagle Stilettos that a couple in the class also had new Legend LX regs. I spoke with them and they sounded friendly. I am going to see them again this weekend during my daughters OW checkout dives. I will also be diving.

The issue is that the LDS that sold them the regs (not the one doing the class) paired them up with an AL ABS octo. I know from reading here that they will most likely have trouble with the unbalanced octo because of the Legend's increasing IP. I just read an AL octo product flyer that was in my octo box that explicitly states do not use the unbalanced octos with the Legend.

Should I keep my mouth shut or try to save them some grief later, or worse, a free flowing octo at depth that they can't stop (probably a low probability but not zero). My inclination, because of safety and just trying to help, is to mention the issue to them. I don't want to come across as a know it all since I sure don't know it all.

What is your take? Is it clear cut?

I'd let them know. No question. Obviously don't holler it out in front of all the employees and 42 customers, but yeah, I'd tell them.

I would be inclined to say something to them. You could always mention the flyer you have. Tact is everything and some people lack it. Your initial concern for these people leads me to believe that you don't happen to be one of them. I hope it goes well...if nothing else, you will know you tried. As a newbie, they probably won't be offended. FWIW, I'm new and I wouldn't be.

Add my vote for "offering to share info you learned about the regs - including a warning they may find of interest." If they're interested, give them the infor. If not, you did the duty.:thumb:

I would go in there and ask them for advice. Tell them about the flier and ask if they think its anything to be concerned about.
That way they will be forced to look at the issue, but in their minds to help you.

I did mention the issue to them over the weekend. They appreciated the info and are going back to the LDS where they bought the gear to talk about it with them. My daughter and I ended up having dinner with them and another three divers anad had a great time today. It all worked out great. Thanks for the reassurance.

jmps:
I did mention the issue to them over the weekend. They appreciated the info and are going back to the LDS where they bought the gear to talk about it with them. My daughter and I ended up having dinner with them and another three divers anad had a great time today. It all worked out great. Thanks for the reassurance.
Sounds like you did good.

Good thing I didn't post my opinion before you acted. I would have suggested calling the LDS that sold them the regs and politely educating them. I then would have given them the choice on who would explain it to their customers, them or me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom