Girlfriend's 1st Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richesb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Any thoughts / opinions appreciated. Girlfriend looking to buy a Sealife Reefmaster DC310 for her 1st camera.
Not planning on being a pro at this time. Only looking to take some "nice pictures". Most diving will be in 70 - 130ft water, average viz. 40ft. All daytime diving.

Take a look at the newer DC600. The image quality is much better, the housing is a little more compact and much better designed! Its a beginners camera, but something that will suit her right!

I have the DC310 with the external strobe. I like the camera and have taken some nice pictues with it over the past few years. I have also taken lots of bad ones.

Pros - Easy to use, Travels lightly, Rugged, takes nice pics at a high enough mp that i have even blown some up to 8x10's that are hanging in our living room, uses AA Batteries (4 strobe, 2 camera) - I use the lithiums and I just returned from a 26 dive trip where I had to change batteries one time

Cons - Minimal controls while underwater (basically on and off), Maybe use error but I tend to blast lots of stuff with that strobe - I think I am going to puchase the diffuser to see if that helps, Very buoyant - can be helped with a sealife weight, slow recycle time between pictures

Overall, I think it is a good beginner camera or at least has been for me. I don't have anything to really compare it to though. I would recommned though getting the DC600 since it is newer, has more controls available underwater, larger lcd screen, quicker recycle time from what I understand, and I think it is more compact The only negative I heard about the newer ones was with the DC500 is that they use rechargable batteries that can tend to drain quickly. This may have been fixed with the 600. Maybe someone else could shed light in that area.

I have the 310 as well and like it for what I do. The strobe will blast some stuff but it's easy enough to reach up and turn it off. In fact I keep mine off until I think I'll need it. As for the controls they take some getting used to but again all I want to do is snap some shots. Not looking to get published but just to show my fiance what's down there since she is unable to dive but goes on just about every trip. One thing I ran into was that I have to modify the flash director that clips onto the front. It tends to cover part of the lens when using the macro lens attachment. But it is easy on batts and with rechargeables (good ones at least 2100ah) I had it on in the pool just playing around with it for over 2 hours and shot 90 some pics and it was still going strong. Need to get a bigger memory card though. I've only got her old 64mb so need to get a 256 or 512.

I bought my wife an Olympus 720SW and Olympus housing. The good news is that the camera itself is waterproof so that when the housing floods, you'll have a chance the camera will still be OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom