Ginnie Springs, Two Dives, 36 Years Apart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ginnie_VR_s.sized.jpg

Took the family up to cave country last month. It has been a very long time since I was last up that way! It was 4th of July weekend, HOT and so things were crowded at times. Still, I got to do some interesting free diving. Take it as given, free diving into any confined environment, particularly caves is a dangerous activity, it can readily kill you and is NOT recommended!

Rick_N_Jenny_Springs_1975.jpg
1_GOPR1439.sized.jpg

My diving setups in 1975 and in 2011. Some things are similar but over all there has been a lot of change.

This is a video of free dives into Ginnie, Devils Eye and Little Devil Springs. Unfortunately, I think I mislabeled Little Devil as Devils Ear. I have some interesting video of what is Devils Ear but it didn't make it into this video. The opening still shot was from the first time I visited the spring in 1975. Ben Clarke took the shot of me with my Nikonos II and small Ikelight housed Vivitar strobe as I moved out of the orifice into the ballroom. I had swam in against the outflow a short distance and thought I saw the light of a cave diving team coming out. It turned out to be my Fara-lite reflecting off a marble tombstone for a lost cave diver. There were lots of caving fatalities in those early days. I met a couple of NACD instructors at USF who elected not to make two separate dives. Guys died on those two dives tragically.

Continued with video, vintage gear images and more background at:

Free diving Ginnie Springs and the Devil's Spring System - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Last edited:
I liked the way the video turned red near the end of the one dive. I could just imagine that being the onset of shallow water blackout.

I don't know why that happened, perhaps moisture in the housing? I had that happen with another digital camera but not with this one before.

There can be visual effects with blackout or near blackout, usually they are more subtle. You may notice some blurring of lines, even tunnel vision, some tingling in extremities, loss of motor control, emotional swings/instability, confusion, cyanosis, etc.. As with excessive drinking, the diver may be the last to know how far things have gone without training and awareness. Anyone who free dives should be very familiar with the subject and means of avoiding blackout. More at http://www.freediving.biz/education/laryngospasm.html and in FII free diving courses. Some of the effects are similar to O2 toxicity impacting SCUBA divers, at least back in the day. I only had it twice decades back which was more than enough.

I liked the way the video turned red near the end of the one dive. I could just imagine that being the onset of shallow water blackout.

Last edited:
1) Is the vintage mask a Healthways or SCUBA MASTER "Cat eye" Mask?
Knew it well

2) SWBO was unknow in the diving world until about 1960==It was discovered and I think documented during the Italian test for firemen.

The candidates were required to hold their breath for a specified time, the only way to insure they were was to place them in a swimming pool. Those that surfaced and didnot move suffered no ill effects, those who made immediate movement, ie reaching for the edge of the pool etc, suffered SWBO.

It is now a very serious danger with the advent and increased popularity of "free diving."

Vep this is a Vintage Thread and that bit of information is vintage

sdm

While I enjoyed your post and video, it just can't be stressed too much - to the non-cave diver - that free diving into overhead environments is a really bad idea. We've lost several free divers within the last year or so, doing the same thing. I personally want every diver to discover the exciting world that cave diving offers, but with the right gear and training. Just too many things that can go wrong, like that dangling light getting caught in the rocks and preventing the exit that was planned.

Thank you for your post and your "caution" about caves and free diving but, as we both have said, the dangers just can't be stressed too much.

Good point and as I said, I don't recommend free diving to others in overhead or confined environments. In addition cave diver certification is required in these springs beyond the posted areas. I don't go past those points nor should anyone else without the required certification and cave diving gear.

Free diving was a big thing before I started diving in 1971. There is more to it these days to be sure however. I am still trying to remember the name of that Sportsways balanced diaphragm regulator. I would likely be of 1974 or 75 vintage. Thanks.

Hi Rick,
way cool,started diving Ginny in 1981 was there last May,going in Nov 2011 again.
Jerry

RickI, if you are talking about the Sportsways double hose that is balanced from that era, it is the Hydro Twin and I have one. I still dive it too.

I appreciate your sharing the dives, and especially the video. I haven't dived some of these springs in Florida since the 1970s, and would love to some time. My dive site, the Clackamas River has visibility right now of about 10-14 feet, and is running at 56 degrees F. But, I don't think you'll see a salmon or a sturgeon in those Florida springs; I saw both this summer in the Clackamas River at High Rocks.

SeaRat

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom