Ginnie or Troy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going for a day of diving for a non Caver which one would we enjoy more? I heard you can do a drift dive at Ginnie down the river? On the other hand Troy can get you down to 80'.

Ginnie will be a much more varied and rewarding experience in my opinion. Troy has it's advantages, but I wouldn't recommend scheduling it as your ONLY dive site for the day.

Troy can get blown out pretty easily so check with the ranger before you drive to the park. Ginnie will be diveable when Troy is not.

Troy is deeper and there is a lot to see if you want to spend time checking out the walls - always a chance of finding a fossil etc.

Ginnie is MUCH more shallow - if you are trained there is the ballroom at Ginnie, not a cave but definately an overhead environment.

Really depends on your interests - I have spent a day at Ginnie and honestly have no reason to go back (from an OW diver perspective) but have spent 2 full days and Troy and will be back.

I can't speak for drifting down the river - never even crossed my mind. Alligators, boats and tanin stained water don't seem like a good combination to me for diving.

Another vote for Troy.

The river drift at Ginnie isn't all that great. The river is usually tannic and not much to see. And it takes less tahn 5 minutes from run to run.

AAt Troy you can spend the first part of your dive in the basin exploring the walls. Then head to the run for your safety. Lots of life in the run, including fresh water flounder. You also have the old paddle wheeler wreck in the run.

The river drift at Ginnie isn't all that great. The river is usually tannic and not much to see. And it takes less tahn 5 minutes from run to run.

Actually, as of last week,... the Santa Fe river was quite clear. Yes, there was some tannic water, but it was clearer than I've ever seen (although for 2 yrs I really can claim to have seen a lot). I could see the bottom 1/3- 1/2 of the way across. Actually, we got quite a treat when a hawk swooped down & stole a bag containing some cheese we had used on burgers for lunch. Very exciting!

Actually, as of last week,... the Santa Fe river was quite clear. Yes, there was some tannic water, but it was clearer than I've ever seen (although for 2 yrs I really can claim to have seen a lot). I could see the bottom 1/3- 1/2 of the way across. Actually, we got quite a treat when a hawk swooped down & stole a bag containing some cheese we had used on burgers for lunch. Very exciting!

Maybe I will visit Ginnie again someday.

vote for Troy !When we come down our first stop is Troy if open, we go early when park opens and have a blast as usually its early in the year and too cold for locals and too early for others as my son loves to see the turtles, and as said the walls and fossils are cool. we try to get a other spring in as we head down if its warm.
have fun,
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom