Gilboa Quarry Changing Hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Word is that as of next week Gilboa Quarry will have a new owner. I hear big changes are planned for growth and improvement!

The quarry has languished for quite some time under Mike Williams’ ownership. I have fond memories of Gilboa. Regular trips there for training, practice & camaraderie have been hugely important in my growth as a diver. Looking forward to seeing the plans that the new owner has for the facility!

Yes, I heard the deal was already done. Columbus Scuba buying it. None of this is confirmed, just what I heard.

anyone know their view on solo diving?
do they teach solo?

Yes, I heard the deal was already done. Columbus Scuba buying it. None of this is confirmed, just what I heard.

I heard the same and that it changes hands officially today.

anyone know their view on solo diving?
do they teach solo?

Andy Silverman, owner of Columbus Scuba, is a PADI Course Director and Instructor Trainer with IANTD. I'd suggest you call the shop and ask. I've heard nothing about their policies on solo nor deep diving at the quarry.

I was at Gilboa yesterday. Mike was actually nice to me when I was checking in. He’s usually Mr Cranky when he wasn’t being Mike the Nazi.

I’m told by someone with good info that a lot of improvements are planned. I was floored when I heard about how much the quarry sold for. Wow!

I was at Gilboa yesterday. Mike was actually nice to me when I was checking in. He’s usually Mr Cranky when he wasn’t being Mike the Nazi.

I’m told by someone with good info that a lot of improvements are planned. I was floored when I heard about how much the quarry sold for. Wow!

Mike tends to exaggerate a lot of things so take what you heard with a grain of salt.

I do know that the name stays the same and it is to be run as a separate Business from Columbus Scuba. There are plans to improve many things both in and out of the water, which will obviously take time.

Mike tends to exaggerate a lot of things so take what you heard with a grain of salt.

I do know that the name stays the same and it is to be run as a separate Business from Columbus Scuba. There are plans to improve many things both in and out of the water, which will obviously take time.

Even though I no longer live in the area I am really thrilled. I had a decent relationship with Mike but only because I listened, kept my mouth shut and let Mike be Mike. He was crusty, cranky, and made many poor decisions that drove away customers. Gilboa was hugely important in my "diving life" from 2006-2016 and I am looking forward to watching from afar the improvements that are made. We just may see Gilboa return to and even surpass its former heyday!

Didn’t hear it from Mike.

I never had any negative interactions with the owner, but he was certainly infamous. Hopefully this is a big positive step in the right direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom